87' W56 onto 78' 20R transmission swap upgrade question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The transmission swap is, (mechanically speaking), going to be for a 1978 Toyota Long Bed Pickup.

The fiberglass Chinook pop top camper was permanently bolted onto the frame by the Chinook company that built the Chinook Camper from new. In essence, the camper shell was mounted onto a Rolling Chassis of a 1978 Toyota Long Bed 1/2 Ton Pickup.

The transmission that's in it now, as far as I can determine, is L42 4 speed.

The newly rebuilt transmission gearbox that I already have for the swap is, according to the rebuilder, a 1985 - 1988 W56. It has the 2wd tail shaft with the square shift lever boot, (not the more common round shift lever boot).

The reason I have decided to call it "W56 Hybrid" is because the rebuilder installed it with a W59 Gear Cluster.

He told me that the gears are a little wider and therefore stronger than a stock OEM W56. He also told me the way it's configured, the bearings are stronger too.

I don't know exactly why the bearings would be stronger, but I think it's because one or more of the shafts in the transmission is also larger in diameter where the bearing goes onto the shaft. I am thinking that there would be less yaw stress on the bearing/s and maybe even the case because there would be less space between the inner and outer bearing races.

The only question that I have at the moment, (because I have conflicting information from different sources), whereas, some of my information sources did get the five-speed transmissions that they used to replace the L series 4 speed transmissions to a five-speed transmission on their 1970's Hilux pickups with the 20R engines like what I am doing....
...Anyway, most or all of them got their five-speed transmissions that they swapped-out from a junkyard, or they got one from somebody who took it out of something else. Not all of them were W56 transmissions, in fact, I think the majority of them were not W56.

The only person who I can for sure take the word of replaced his L-series 4 speed OEM transmission to a G54 five-speed in a 1978, just like mine.
He said that it bolted right up with a minimal amount of hole drilling on the cross-member.
The speedometer cable was even on the left side like the L Series transmissions.

Anyway, it's not the speedometer cable that I'm concerned about. for that same swap, the guy mentioned where he used a 22RET, (Turbo), flywheel and it's larger clutch disc with pressure plate. He used the same bell housing that was already on the G54 without encountering any any problems with the bell housing not fitting around the flywheel or the pressure plate. It bolted right up to the 20R and worked just fine.

I am not so sure that the clutch housing that I have on the W56 has enough clearance for the 22RET clutch's pressure plate.
I'm relatively sure the flywheel would fit because, based on the information I have, it is the same diameter, (within 2mm anyway), and it has 115 tooth ring gear.

Anyway, I am going to measure the flywheel diameter and count the teeth on the Ring Gear I have on the 20R because supposedly it could have 114 teeth instead of 115 teeth.

Also, the new starter motor that I just got, (a gear driven one), when I purchased it for my 1978 with 20R; was specified to be an 8 tooth gear on the starter, however, the old direct drive starter that I took out had 9 teeth. So does the new gear driven starter motor I just installed a few weeks ago, (the sales spec for the new gear driven starter said it was an 8 tooth gear.
The published 8 tooth gear spec was either just outright wrong or the 9 tooth gear meshes and engages just fine with the 114 tooth ring gear so it would also be within spec for both the old 114 tooth and the newer 115 tooth ring gears that most of the 22, and 22RE flywheels that exist today have...
...I am basing that on my searches for flywheels and starter motors for 22R engines where the part numbers are the same for the 22RE engines.

The reduction gear-driven starter motor that I just installed, with 9 gear teeth works perfectly on my 1978 20R, no problems whatsoever. There aren't any grinding, scraping, whining, or or any other undesirable noises or ill effects that would indicate improperly engaging gears between the starter motor and the ring gear.

I know this has been a long and drawn out lead to my questions, but, I like to qualify my questions as best I can before I ask on a forum like this.

Question 1:
Does anyone know if there was any bell housing made OEM by Toyota on the 22R or 22RE, (non-Turbo models) for the years 1985 to 1988 that had bell housing that would fit over 22RET Turbo flywheel and pressure plate?

If I'm not sure that a 22RET flywheel and clutch kit will fit within the confines of the bell housing I have on the W56, when I get to doing the swap, I will just get the stock OEM 22R clutch kit with the new flywheel instead of a slightly more friction area clutch disc one that the 22RET turbo one is.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
I know people have installed the larger 22RET flywheel with clutch for 22RET Turbo motors onto 20R non-turbo carburetor engines and used bell housing that also bolted to Toyota 5 speed manual transmissions, including the W56.... ....Therefore...

...Question 2:
To accomplish using a 22RET flywheel on a 20R and coupling it with a W56 transmission; (I do know that it has been done somehow), did those those swaps have to use a bell housing that was specifically made for a 22RET engine and also bolt to a W56 transmission to accommodate the 'Turbo' flywheel and pressure plate?

Also, hoping that I will be able to use the same adapter plate that I have on the 20R. Does anyone here know about that?... ...By the time I am done I will.:hillbilly:

Thanks gnob.

Just to be sure, I need to clarify my question a bit because there is still a question in my mind on this.

The Bell Housing I do have is supposed to have been pulled from a stock 2wd 1987 Pickup. The transmission was supposed to be a G54 as I ordered, but it is not a G54. Instead, the transmission I have looks to be a W55 as far as I can tell based on photo caparison between my photos of it and Marlin Crawler photo of a W55 transmission.
W55 from Junk Yard_cr_rs.jpg

The Bell Housing I have came off this W55 (what I think it is anyway), which would correlate with Y/M Pickups from 84-88 and was used in trucks that had 22RE motors..
From what I can tell, the Flywheel for 22RET (Turbo) will bolt to Crankshaft of 20R, 22R and 22RE, no problem there.

What I am not so sure about is; the 1987 Bell Housing that I have that came off the 'W55', which is now attached to the rebuilt W56 is, if it will have enough clearance to fit over the 22RET Flywheel and Pressure Plate.

I know that the friction components in the Clutch are a little larger in diameter on the 22RET Turbo, which is why I would rather use it if it would fit.

What I do not know is if there is enough of a difference between the Turbo and non-Turbo R series Bell Housing/s that would cause the Turbo Pressure Plate to make contact with the 1987 Bell Housing that I believe to be pulled off of a truck that had a 22RE.

You are over analyzing this. Much of this concern has already been answered.

The "turbo" flywheel is the same as 89-95. It will fit fine under the w trans bell.

Bolt up the flywheel of your choice, secure the clutch of your choice on it, and slap the W-series bellhousing over the top. Donedeal.

Last edited:
… did those those swaps have to use a bell housing that was specifically made for a 22RET engine and also bolt to a W56 transmission to accommodate the 'Turbo' flywheel and pressure plate?

The "turbo" (R151F) bellhousing is a totally different animal. While it bolts to the 20R/22R/22RE/22RET series engines, it only attaches to a R-series transmission (R150 and R151). A W-series tranny will NOT bolt to the "turbo" bellhousing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom