87 Toyota Pickup 22r - Stock carburetor died and need to pass California Smog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im in a weird spot. Just bought an '87 Toyota pickup 22r (4x4 standard carb w/ 110k miles). Looks like the old owner had the truck sitting for a long time and ran it with the same old gas in the tank. It corroded the gas tank sending unit and ate up the carburetor from the inside. Mechanic friend says the carb probably cant be rebuilt with that damage and that we'll need a new one. (havent seen it in person yet)

Am I s*** out of luck when it comes to aftermarket carb that will pass California emissions? Looks like the weber CA legal carbs were only made for the early 80s models.
Thankfully, my local smog shop doesn't care too much about the visual inspection, as long as the tail pipe exhaust smog test passes.

Assuming a rebuilt is out the question, is finding a donor truck my best option here? If so, any idea if the 2wd trucks used to same carbs? What about year/model?
Finding a similar year/model donor CA vehicle seems like a pain.

Thanks in advance

Toyota pickup 87.jpg

Yes a 22r stock aisin carb is a 22r stock aisin carb.... regardless of 2x4 or 4x4. So everything from a Celica to a pickup should work. Nice truck! Weird how even into 87 Toyota still put carbs on the 4x4s. You should be able to find one, probably have to go out of state to get one, though. No Kali smog laws...

I still get people telling me it should be fuel injected but its a regular 22R.

Thanks. I'll start looking for a replacement and hope it works. Im hearing the California trucks had slightly different carbs but there should be plenty of donor trucks out here if I take into account 2wd.

Well if it has "California emissions", yes. You could probably contact a Toyota dealer and give them your VIN to check. I know that even as far back as 1980 Toyota listed a "California Only" in the Factory Service Manual. Likely it's an air pump and there's some kind of switching valve "computer (not a computer) thing" on the passenger wheelwell. If you're going to go with the stock carb I'd suggest buying a bulk roll of the small vacuum hose (yon can't buy the exact size, but you can come close) and take a morning and replace EVERY vacuum hose. It's easy as long as you take your time and be methodical, do one hose at a time. I had a 1982 4x4 stock carb truck that wouldn't idle. Replacing all the hoses fixed that.

Well if it has "California emissions", yes. You could probably contact a Toyota dealer and give them your VIN to check. I know that even as far back as 1980 Toyota listed a "California Only" in the Factory Service Manual. Likely it's an air pump and there's some kind of switching valve "computer (not a computer) thing" on the passenger wheelwell. If you're going to go with the stock carb I'd suggest buying a bulk roll of the small vacuum hose (yon can't buy the exact size, but you can come close) and take a morning and replace EVERY vacuum hose. It's easy as long as you take your time and be methodical, do one hose at a time. I had a 1982 4x4 stock carb truck that wouldn't idle. Replacing all the hoses fixed that.
Thanks , I overlooked calling the dealership to get a definite answer. I'll see if I can measure and get new hoses all around while its taken apart.

I still get people telling me it should be fuel injected but its a regular 22R.

Thanks. I'll start looking for a replacement and hope it works. Im hearing the California trucks had slightly different carbs but there should be plenty of donor trucks out here if I take into account 2wd.
IIRC, toyota pickups were sold with both the 22R and the 22RE until 1995, even here in California. To be honest, I think the 22R is more reliable in the long run. I'd rather fight with an old 22R than an old 22RE to get it to pass smog

Last edited:
IIRC, toyota pickups were sold with both the 22R and the 22RE until 1995, even here in California. To be honest, I think the 22R is more reliable in the long run. I'd rather fight with an old 22R than an old 22RE to get it to pass smog
True, in 2WD trucks.

2WD Models.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom