87 FJ60 suspected emissions system issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sue

Threads
Hi there, long time listener, first time caller.

So got this FJ60 from a friend for a very reasonable price, knowing that it had some issues. For starters, it hasn't passed emissions for a number of years. Even without passing emissions it ran pretty well, and only had some trouble starting cold because it is missing its choke cable.

After I bought it, the air pump seized on me. I realized that my friend had installed a rather s***ty replacement air pump so I figured putting a OEM pump into it would help things.

So i replaced the air pump and decided to replace all the vacuum lines as well. While doing the vacuum lines I noticed that many lines where either routed incorrectly or missing. I made sure to replace all the lines and double checked that they matched up to the 2F emissions manual routing.

After I rerouted all the lines, the FJ really started running like s***. The idle was super erratic (fluctuating between 500 and 700rpm). After some searching I found that if I bypassed the EGR valve, the idle would mellow out. I did some tests per the manual and think the EGR vacuum modulator needs replaced.

However, with the EGR disconnected, my idle will jump up to about 1000 rpm after a few minutes of driving. I've readjusted the idle setting on the carb a few times now to be certain that everything is set right but the idle just refuses to stay at 650 after a little driving. The temp gauge is fine, no overheating. The fuel level is good in the carb. The throttle connections are moving and not getting stuck.

This may or may not be related but I'm also getting a pretty strong exhaust smell coming from the engine but I can't feel any leaks from the manifold.

Any thoughts on what could be causing my headache? If I can't figure it out I might bring to someone that specializes in FJ's just to see what they think is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom