87 ext cab 4x4#Diesel swap#Custom turbo build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Turbo time! So with just a few hick ups along the way I managed to bolt the turbo up today. I still have all the plumbing to do and my oil feed line will arrive tuesday at the latest. The hydraulic shop was all out of the fitting i needed. That gives me a couple days to get the air box setup, the exhaust, oil return line and figure out what kind of pyro an boost gauges I am going to use.

And the hood still closes, Fxxxing rights!

DSC03633.JPG

DSC03635.JPG

DSC03636.JPG

DSC03637.JPG

Nice solution on the manifold to turbo flange.

50 bucks for 60% 315mm x 75mm? R16" dick cepek crushers

315/75 r16. 75 is sidewall ratio. Side wall height is 75% of the tread width.

I cant way to get this manifold done. My truck is gutless now that I put those 33's on.

No wonder! They're 35"s not 33"s ;)

Nice solution on the manifold to turbo flange.

315/75 r16. 75 is sidewall ratio. Side wall height is 75% of the tread width.

No wonder! They're 35"s not 33"s ;)

Well they are smaller than my 35" mud terrains on my cruiser. I used a on line tire converter and it said they were 33x12.5 ish.

Got my exhaust started, flex pipe and turbo flange done. I have to order some more bends from lordco tomorrow.

DSC03638.JPG

DSC03639.JPG

DSC03640.JPG

It was my final decision to move the air box to the passenger side. Its a little tight but that's just the way I like it. I drilled out the spot welds and moved the mounts to where I needed them. I also had to cut off the bottom and re-weld it to the top for my turbo setup. I havn't capped the bottom of the air box yet but I will do it tomorrow.

I put a wanted add on craigslist for a pyro and boost gauge. I got a call this morning from a man that had a pyro. 50 bucks for the gauge/ wire and sending unit. Not bad at all. He's taking it out of his truck next weekend so I'll have to wait for that.

DSC03641.JPG

DSC03642.JPG

DSC03643.JPG

DSC03644.JPG

Just ordered all my silicon bits and pieces. Dam that stuff is expensive. Hope its here soon.

My oil drain. Just some fuel grade 5/8 hose. I bought a double ended barbed male fitting and cut it in half. Used one half to weld to the turbo flange. The other to the oil pan. Connect the dots and voila!

DSC03649.JPG

DSC03650.JPG

Heat shield or not to heat shield is the question? I prefer it without. you?

DSC03652.JPG

DSC03653.JPG

So I ordered some mandrel bent 2.25" u-shaped exhaust pipe form my local parts store and one section of straight pipe. Came to 105$$$, not a bad price for a whole exhaust setup. Minus the flex pipe. Got her all mocked into place in 3 sections so I could remove it for welding. I still need to hang the exhaust tomorrow. Not sure if I will weld it straight to the frame or hang it from rubber bushings?

DSC03654.JPG

DSC03655.JPG

DSC03656.JPG

DSC03658.JPG

Suspend it man. Inevitably you will need to remove it for some reason and will royalty kick yourself if you don't. Less chance of breaking too. I know it's aluminized, but get some high heat paint in it or it will rust eventually. I wipe my metals down with white gas to remove oils. No residue left. Exhaust likes to rust as it constantly gets hot enough to cook out oils (>300F) that are naturally present in all metals. This makes it several times more prone to rusting. Diesels usually rust from the outside inward as our exhaust is very dry compared to gas engines.
Looks great. Nice smooth flow
g

Last edited:
When I do my exhausts I use these for connections.

2.5'' V-Band Flange & Clamp Kit for Turbo Exhaust Downpipes Mild Steel Flange

Threre cheap and super easy to work with. There also not bulky and fit in small areas. The flanges flow really well as when you protrude one pipe just a bit to overlap the second they self align. The clamps are stainless so they always come apart nicely. No broken rusty bolts.
g

X2 on using hangers on the exhaust. Your braided flex won't eliminate all vibration. Solid mounted may cause hangers to tear out.
Be careful how you weld the hangers to the pipe. Butt welds tend to tear out. Wrap the hanger part way around the pipe like a "J" with the pipe in the bottom of the J.

X2 of the v-bands too. Cheap enough to not think twice and easier to set up than bolted flanges

I'd run a heat shield. The turbine housing is very close to the hood to be left unshielded.

Also , I think your oil return line is possibly too small. The drain on my hdj81 was 22mm or 7/8? May be fine, but could be something to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the tips! I will put the heat sheild on even thought there is no hood liner on my truck. So, nothing to catch on fire. I think Im pretty good to go with my turbo drain. Remember that the hdj81 is 4.2l diesel. My 2l is half that size @ 2.4l.
When I do my exhausts I use these for connections.

2.5'' V-Band Flange & Clamp Kit for Turbo Exhaust Downpipes Mild Steel Flange

Threre cheap and super easy to work with. There also not bulky and fit in small areas. The flanges flow really well as when you protrude one pipe just a bit to overlap the second they self align. The clamps are stainless so they always come apart nicely. No broken rusty bolts.
g

Are these v-band clamps to clamp sections of pipe together because I have already welded everything from tip to tip. HA!

So I did it the right way, for once. lol Used some rubber for protection against the wee jiggles and wiggles. I am super stoked on how the exhaust worked out.

DSC03659.JPG

DSC03661.JPG

DSC03662.JPG

I got a cross tube mocked into place so i could at least fire the engine up. It sounds real nice. Today I am going to hook up the boost gauge and boost compensatory. I will have to re-route the valve cover breather to pre-turbo. I was thinking of welding a bung to the air box right before the turbo.

The other option is to "T" the turbo oil return? I am still undecided. I have read alot about these engines having lots of crank case pressure when turboed. The 2lt has a higher valve cover due to oil splashing around and exiting through the valve cover breather. Good thing I know lots of toyota hoarders around town. As I am one of them:)

Test drive today. wahooo!

DSC03663.JPG

DSC03664.JPG

P.S. That turbo cross tube is only temporary. made from driveway scraps.

I anybody tell me how to upload videos on here, I would be glad to post of a video of the it running. Maybe even a test drive, 4x4?

Excellent progress!!Easiest way to post a video would probably be to make a Youtube account and post a link.I for one would be interested to see and hear it running!

Blue thunder is ALIVE! LOL. The final setup. I still have to install a pyrometer before I can turn up the fuel. Which I havn't learned how to do yet? Anybody know how?

Got a boost gauge and a fresh oil change and took her out for a rip. Its not bad, not as snappy as my turbo 3b in my BJ60. I can achieve 12 psi of boost which is pretty decent. I would like to get 14-15 psi after a fuel tweak which should push my boost numbers up too.

DSC03666.JPG

DSC03669.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom