85 automatic and transfer case questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 land cruiser in rapid city South Dakota
looking at an 85 22re with an auto, not running.

I have some articles on how to re do the shift body on one so they lock up tighter.

How to make a a340 last(56kers take a nap) - Supraforums.com

I know nothing about the toyota auto transmission.

my questions are.

what is the difference in the transfer cases? I thought all 85's were gear drive.

will the 85 manual tranny transfer case bolt right up to the auto?

why's the auto transfer case say it uses the atf.

why will over filling the auto a bit hurt it?
I think it would help with hill climbs.

Be genital, I have been searching for a few hours to try to find the answers to my questions. Most every thing that I find just ended up a complaint match to swap to the manuals.

I have two toys with manuals and ran across this truck for cheap. thought that I might play with the auto. but mostly use the truck for parts. but not worth much to me with a possible munched motor and a transfer case that I would not be able to use.

what is the difference in the transfer cases? I thought all 85's were gear drive.

Auto is chain, manuals are geared.

will the 85 manual tranny transfer case bolt right up to the auto?

Nope. Adapters are available from Marlin and Inchworm I believe.

why's the auto transfer case say it uses the atf.

Cause it does. Pretty sure it's separate from the tranny though.

why will over filling the auto a bit hurt it?
I think it would help with hill climbs.

Not sure, but I've read of folks adding extra fluid to the early 340s for off camber wheelin'.

Be genital, I have been searching for a few hours to try to find the answers to my questions.

Genital??? :D

Good luck with it... hope this helps some.

dont waste yer time with that auto crap man. i totally feel ya though, on wantin an auto on the hills. ( i mean i feel ya in a totally NON genital way :flipoff2: )

that t case dont unbolt like our manual ones do.

only adapters i ever seen was for usin a gear drive case on to a V6 trans.

dude seriously that trans AND transfer case aint worth jackin around with.

ok,,, not going to mess with it then.

guy bought it out from under me.
still could have used the cab, my mounts are giving way.
and the axles and frame would have been worth the 400 bucks.
not sure of the motor condition.

that sounded bad..
I was helping him find a truck and the guy emailed him first.
so I want to correct that.
I was going to buy it, but the wife would probably kill me..
so he saved me..

Last edited:
Auto and V6 is chain, manuals are geared.

fixed....

And I think there is one 4cyl, 5sp that's chain...

Oh yeah, I think it's the rare AAD optioned ones...

Last edited:
fixed....

And I think there is one 4cyl, 5sp that's chain...

Oh yeah, I think it's the rare AAD optioned ones...

Uh... not fixed. There was NOT a V6 option in '85 and I've yet to see ADD on a solid front axle. Definitely on the later IFS trucks/runners tho. ;)

Last edited:
I'm certainly no expert on the autos, but I have parted out 2 trucks that had them, one was an '85. On both of them the transfer was not a separate section, in other words there was no way to unbolt just the transfer case and remove it, like you can on all the manual trannys. So there was no way to upgrade it or install crawler gears.

I would have bought the truck and drove it till the tranny blew up. Then convert it to 5 speed. It's pretty easy.

I'm certainly no expert on the autos, but I have parted out 2 trucks that had them, one was an '85. On both of them the transfer was not a separate section, in other words there was no way to unbolt just the transfer case and remove it, like you can on all the manual trannys. So there was no way to upgrade it or install crawler gears.

I would have bought the truck and drove it till the tranny blew up. Then convert it to 5 speed. It's pretty easy.

Inchworm makes a a340h tranny to gear driven adapter. Basically you have to tear down the tranny to get it installed.
Inchworm Gear - Toyota Rockcrawling Equipment

The early autos have to be swapped out to a later 2 part version to do fun t-case upgrades. And that may only be an option for the V6's.... I'm not sure.
Don't have to but I'd think they are a better shifting tranny. You can swap to a newer version as seen here
Tech: Automatic Transmission swap & Marlin Crawler Install.

I believe anything post '85 had a 340f if it was a 22re. The 3.slow was a 340h; Reason I say that is below they claim that A340F is behind the 22re but my 85 auto is the 340h. A buddy of mine says the 86 runner he had came with a 340f.

From pirate FAQ:
"AFAIK, the following transmission codes represent what tranny you have.
*A340F are found in 4wd 4runners and trucks that have the 2.4L 22RE 4cyl motors.
*A340H are found in 4wd 4runners and trucks that have the 3.0L 3VZ-E
V6 motors.
*A340E are found in 2wd 4runners and trucks that have the 3.0L 3VZ-E V6 motors. "

Then there is this further down:
"All toyota trannys I have seen are labled 30-40-le regardless of aplication or if they are 4x4 or 2x4.

340h comes behind 22re and 3.0 v6./ Pass. drop./ Hydro transfer case./ Adapters from inchworm and possibly gearslug.

340f comes in 95+ tacos, t100s, tundras, sequia (spl?), and 4runners. Not sure if the 93-95 t100s are F or H but I have been told they are F. All are driver drop except for t100. I have heard the t100 are all pass. drop. It would be great if someone could confirm this. Some on this site have said they had an F in a 22re truck but I have not seen one in person or a picture./ T-case has gear oil instead of ATF./ Adapters from inch worm and marlin. The inch worm unit clocks in either direction. Not sure which way the marlin unit clocks but have heard it only goes one way. Either adapter is very easy to install. I have heard the adapter for the H is more difficult but have not done it myself."

Different info, but appears to mirror what Inchworm says on their site.

Clear as mud, hopefully someone can chime in on it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom