'85 Auto axles: 4.30S ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have found a doner front end to replace the banana'd front housing on my superbeater/cheapo build 1981 Trailblazer but it is from a 1985 auto trans 4 runner. I think I remember that the auto 4 runners in 1985 had 4.30s or 4.56s is that right. If so I'd better grab the rear end too...

you would have to check 4Crawler.com main page site to determine the definition of the paint on the end of the pinion. And further more he has listed what trucks came with what gears and such.

85 4 cyl w/auto would have 4.30 gears w/std tires or 4.88's if it had the factory 31" tire package. Axle codes are G282 and G142.

85 4 cyl w/auto would have 4.30 gears w/std tires or 4.88's if it had the factory 31" tire package. Axle codes are G282 and G142.
It could be absolutely true that an 85 with auto had 4.30's, my info is not up and running to confirm that. My belief has been all along (right or wrong) that Toyota did not offer 31's as early as 85, but when they did:
(a) an auto tranny would get you 4.56's
(b) 31" tires would get you 4.56's
(c) 31's and auto tranny would get you 4.88's
Am I wrong???

My belief has been all along (right or wrong) that Toyota did not offer 31's as early as 85..

Pretty sure that they did not. I owned a '85 Runner and don't remember reading about this option on the door tag or in the owner's manual.

I parted out an '85 longbed a few years ago with an auto, it had 4.30's in the diffs.

Still, you're better off counting the teeth, or at least doing the "spin the pinion and count the axle revs" trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom