85 22RE Fuel gauge not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was looking at another '87 4Runner today with a 3" body lift. You can see the sending unit through the wheel well easily. It is about 7-8 inches behind the pump. I think I might just install a 10" - 15" body lift and have easy access to it..... 10 - 15 hockey pucks per mount? :idea:

I was kidding about lifting it with the hockey pucks, I get the feeling that it wasn't obvious. ;p

EFITank.jpg

I stole this pic off pirate... I'm familiar w/ the access panel. I've actually done a 3RZ swap on this truck, so I had to mess w/ the fuel lines, and when I did, I ended up breaking the hardline on the fuel pump hanger. I had to replace the hanger and the pump at the same time. At that time, however, my fuel gauge still worked. It just went out all of a sudden a couple weeks ago when I was test driving the 4Runner. It appears the EFI tanks have a rear mounted float of some sort... Hmmm I suck at reading the FSM(I used and ORS harness on my swap, so it was easy ha). I'll see what I can figure out.

Random question - Where did you get the replacement fuel pump hanger for the truck you broke the line on? I have the same fuel tank and need to replace my hanger.

I've got an '89 pickup and the fuel gauge quit working. It was the fuel sending unit, which is inside the tank. There is a guy who rebuilds them. I called him up and he said the issue is the windings are exposed and the float arm rubs them until they break. He rewinds them and then coats the windings in an epoxy. Worked like a charm. His website said he'd send it back within a week. Took him more like a month but now it works like a charm. There are several companies that do this which you can find on the internet. I think it was about $100, but it could have been $150. Not sure if having an accurate gas gauge is worth $150, but I forgot all about paying it and sure like having a gauge that works.

There are 'universal' floats you can buy from companies like Dorman. The issue with those is getting the ohm range adjusted to match what the original sending unit has so that the gauge reads right.

If the tank is under your bed you do not have to drop the tank- Instead, you can unbolt the fuel filler hose from the body, disconnect the tail light wires, unbolt the bed (6 bolts), jack up the bed high enough to remove the sending unit (or fuel pump) from the tank, put some blocks between the frame and bed. This saves you a lot of time and hassle, especially if your fuel pump goes out when the tank is full. Did this on the '89 and a '98 taco, easy as pie.

My fuel gauge on my 85 jumps up and down when the key is on. It does kind of correspond to the estimated amount of gas in the tank, in other words the gauge does go "down" as the level drops. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom