8274 Brake Cardboard Spacer thickness ? Used to press in Oil Seal on Brake shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tornadoalleycruiser

Erik TLCA #5303
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.com
Can someone provide me with the thickness of the cardboard spacer used to press in the brake oil seal?
The Temporary Cardboard spacer.
I'm in the process of rebuilding an 8274 to grace the front of my 64 FJ-45. I'm installing a few Gigglepin Upgrades during the rebuild. part of that is the brake lining. The Gigglepin brake kit does NOT come with the cardboard spacer. I imagine i can easily make something work but just need the thickness. I wasn't willing to purchase a whole Warn brake rebuild kit just for a piece of cardboard.
I did however purchase the Gigglepin 8274 brake assembly tool! Hope that helps during the rebuild process.
Pic for attention only. To the left is the new Gigglepin Engagement that incorporates a fill plug. Needs slightly larger bolts.

8274 Taping.jpg

Thank you!.

update.. Was able to press in the seal/cam gear without the "spacer" . I used a cam seal installation tool from the Highlander/Lexus RX i had that matched the seal perfectly.

Assembled the Cam gear / seal etc in the 8274 then started assembling the brake.

The only way to accomplish such a feat was with the special service tool from Gigglepin.

$20 euro or approx $26 USD..

Having read all the horror stories of assembling the 8274 brake and the balls going everywhere i ordered this when i ordered the upgraded Gigglepin brake material / kit

Brake Rebuld Kit for Warn 8274 or Gigglepin range of Winches - https://gigglepin4x4.net/brake-rebuild-kit-1964-p.asp

I’ve read people using grease (didn’t think that was a good idea on brake friction material)

People using rare earth magnets, people using good ol fashioned luck..

This seemed worth a shot and I was already ordering items from them.

I turned the brake assembly upside down. Used the Gigglepin SST with the clamp bolt sitting below the edge of the table.

Imagine the brake on the table, pass side (outside) of brake down (warn PN 8703), in the clamp, brake spring retainer (Warn calls it a “Hub”) that sits against the outside brake down.

Set balls in a circle. Set spring in place, brake liner aka friction material Warn PN 9734, ratchet warn pn 7601, brake liner warn PN 9734, Inner Brake disk Warn PN 7600.

The clamping bolt was sitting off the edge of the table below the assembly. Slowly tighten and clamped everything in place with the SST.

I used a metric crescent wrench to tighten of course.

Walked over to the 8274, tapped in in place. Only thing I needed to realign was the “hub” that was pressed against PN 8703 slightly with a tiny screwdriver.

Only to allow the brake pawl shaft to come thru.

Tap onto the winch, spin into place. Tap in keyways and install the snap ring.

Really took all of 5 min and I had no idea what I was doing.

I had really overthought the assembly of this winch. Didn't take pictures cause it just went smoothly.

oldbrake.jpg

gigglepin1.jpg

gigglepin2.jpg

gigglepin3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom