‘82 40 Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to give y’all a quick update on the first month with the 40 with the wood on hood:
After removing wood and seeing the 16 holes and adhesive, etc... I found a local fella to work on that for me (was more than I’m equipped to handle). He ended up filling and blending. He worked hard on it and did a nice job. While I waited I did basically what I could: oil, spark plugs, diffs, man trans fluid, transfer case fluid, trans to diff by pass hose, rear seat belts from CCOT (one was broken), removed gun rack bolted to floor ( for sale if any interest), filled the six holes w quick steel, gas pedal pad (CCOT), and replace the two hood gaskets that we’re open was it while I waited. Got hood yesterday. She’s rolling again. Got wifey to the Mtn too this eve. I do have some 033 being mixed up for the bezel. I realize the bezel is a touch tanner than the 033 roof, but’s it’s darn close, I can also use it for roof gutter touch up, and it should be close to the original color (maybe if I don’t lay it on too thick a touch of off white will remain?), let me know if you think using that on the bezel is dumb. I’d like to do my best keeping it as close to original as is practical. I found a ton of help here on mud over the past month while I obsessed over each job and potential job, thanks for that :). Here a few update pics:

D4221C4D-F1AE-457A-A210-7A48789FE6AF.jpeg

86F3CD41-6D9A-4D4B-AC24-5CB45ECB530E.jpeg

B14F5CC0-33EA-4D92-9714-A815EE44A4E5.jpeg

0982BF02-2FDD-45B4-BA5D-677F1AD7D1DC.jpeg

Nice looking rig.
Thanks Randy. I feel lucky to have found it right here at home. PO has had it over twenty years, garage kept it, put about 13,000 miles on it in that time, kept it serviced, and that’s it. He kept it as he bought it, but stopped driving it 4 years ago, and was time for it to move on.

Wanted to give y’all a quick update on the first month with the 40 with the wood on hood:
After removing wood and seeing the 16 holes and adhesive, etc... I found a local fella to work on that for me (was more than I’m equipped to handle). He ended up filling and blending. He worked hard on it and did a nice job. While I waited I did basically what I could: oil, spark plugs, diffs, man trans fluid, transfer case fluid, trans to diff by pass hose, rear seat belts from CCOT (one was broken), removed gun rack bolted to floor ( for sale if any interest), filled the six holes w quick steel, gas pedal pad (CCOT), and replace the two hood gaskets that we’re open was it while I waited. Got hood yesterday. She’s rolling again. Got wifey to the Mtn too this eve. I do have some 033 being mixed up for the bezel. I realize the bezel is a touch tanner than the 033 roof, but’s it’s darn close, I can also use it for roof gutter touch up, and it should be close to the original color (maybe if I don’t lay it on too thick a touch of off white will remain?), let me know if you think using that on the bezel is dumb. I’d like to do my best keeping it as close to original as is practical. I found a ton of help here on mud over the past month while I obsessed over each job and potential job, thanks for that :). Here a few update pics:

View attachment 2365926

View attachment 2365933

View attachment 2365935

View attachment 2365936

I believe the roof and the bezel are both Cygnus white in the 82 (code t12 iirc).
I used Rustoleum appliance epoxy in "biscuit" on the bezel. Very close match to cygnus white, which is what I put on my roof.

I believe the roof and the bezel are both Cygnus white in the 82 (code t12 iirc).
I used Rustoleum appliance epoxy in "biscuit" on the bezel. Very close match to cygnus white, which is what I put on my roof.
Dang it. I don’t recall seeing Cygnus white on the 82 paint codes...

Dang it. I don’t recall seeing Cygnus white on the 82 paint codes...
Searching the paint threads. 033 seemed to be the roof match consensus, I believe

Thanks 40Man

Searching the paint threads. 033 seemed to be the roof match consensus, I believe

I know there are mixed opinions, but after research and stopping at two paint stores, the consensus I received was Cygnus on the roof of 82 (not sure about earlier, some even had shell ivory iirc). I know that later white models used 033 on the bodies while earlier bodies (71-75) had 012.

If you put the whiter color on your roof and want a closer match to cygnus on the bezel, use the appliace epoxy in biscuit. It is a close match to Cygnus.

I liked the Cygnus on my Fj40 roof so I painted my trucks camper the same. It is a great color, especially next to red.

The wheels are also cygnus iirc (link below days same). I powdered my 40 and pickup wheels in almond, which is close.

84lb.jpg

20180703_170042.jpg

20180704_144657.jpg

I know there are mixed opinions, but after research and stopping at two paint stores, the consensus I received was Cygnus on the roof of 82 (not sure about earlier, some even had shell ivory iirc). I know that later white models used 033 on the bodies while earlier bodies (71-75) had 012.

If you put the whiter color on your roof and want a closer match to cygnus on the bezel, use the appliace epoxy in biscuit. It is a close match to Cygnus.

I liked the Cygnus on my Fj40 roof so I painted my trucks camper the same. It is a great color, especially next to red.

View attachment 2366187
That looks good!

That has a nice creamy appearance. Prob closer to my current bezel. Thanks

Here is my 1980 FJ40 that I've owned since about Y2K. It was my daily driver until 2 years ago when I retired it to garage queen status. We explore a lot in Death Valley, Calif and Nevada deserts.
IMG_1509.JPG
IMG_1685.jpg
I'm currently rebuilding its 2F and some other mechanical rebuilds to complete the last stages of restoration. The bock should be back from the machine shop within a week and it should be back on the road within a week after that. It helps being a retired automotive repair tech and having a 25X50 shop at home.

Here is my 1980 FJ40 that I've owned since about Y2K. It was my daily driver until 2 years ago when I retired it to garage queen status. We explore a lot in Death Valley, Calif and Nevada deserts. View attachment 2366343View attachment 2366344I'm currently rebuilding its 2F and some other mechanical rebuilds to complete the last stages of restoration. The bock should be back from the machine shop within a week and it should be back on the road within a week after that. It helps being a retired automotive repair tech and having a 25X50 shop at home.
Nice Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom