'81 through '87 2F Distributor Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
This evening I completed the first production unit of a direct bolt-in single diaphragm vacuum advancer for the '81 through '87 2F distributors. It'll be on its way to a fellow MUD member tomorrow.

The advance curve of this new NipponDenso advancer is almost identical to the advance curve of the OEM advancer's main diaphragm, so it's a good alternative for Land Cruisers that rarely see high altitude or rarely see low altitude.

I have almost 20 more of these new advancers waiting to be modified. I'll start fabricating the miscellaneous parts needed for the modifications later this week. That'll allow me to offer quick turnaround if anyone's interested in buying one (or more :)). I have them posted in the For Sale forum.

Here's a photo and the vacuum advance comparison plot:

029450-2201-FJ60.jpg

Attachments

• FJ60 Main Diaphragm vs. 029450-2201.pdf
    24.2 KB · Views: 116
It's a good alternative for Land Cruisers that rarely see high altitude or rarely see low altitude.

Great work, but I'm curious...if high altitude is too high and low altitude is too low...what is just right?

Since the rod is threaded, is there much room for adjustment or is it pretty limited?

The HAC kicks in when you reach about 3,930 feet and then back out when you drop below about 2,570 feet. So if you live at lower elevations and never drive above 3,930 feet your HAC will never kick in. Conversely, if you live at higher elevations and never drive below 2,570 feet your HAC will always stay on.

There are two adjusting nuts on the rod, I have them set to limit the rod travel to approximately 3.8 mm, which is about 10 degrees distributor advance. They can be adjusted outward for a little more maximum advance and inward for quite a bit less maximum advance.

Sooo..... would this be an option for desmoged 2F's with no HAC? and a DIY re-curved distributor?
:beer:

Sooo..... would this be an option for desmoged 2F's with no HAC? and a DIY re-curved distributor?
:beer:
It sure would, at least for an '81 to '83 FJ40 or an '81 to '87 FJ60. BTW, I have other new NipponDenso advancers that I can modify to fit the big cap distributors that are installed as upgrades to earlier Land Cruisers - I can match several different advance curves, some with almost identical curves to the '77 2F vacuum advance distributors.

Hey look, there's an FJ60 dissy tech thread!

One of the few issues with the FJ60 dissy is the lack of new vac advancers. The deviants at TLCPerformance global HQ have developed a replacement with a new Denso dual stage advancer that is also adjustable for preload and total travel.

It can be set to operate with EGR, or adjusted to operate on a desmogged engine.

Due to limited supply, it is not for sale separately, but if a dissy needs a vac advancer in the course of rebuild and recurve, the upgraded part is available.

So yeah, that's kinda cool. ;)

IMG_20201102_180336973.jpg

IMG_20201102_180423673.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom