81 series BEB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
last week i got the BEBearings changed in a 1990 HDJ81 with 130,000km. there was no flaking to be found. that being said the wear was much higher than an engine of this km should have.
there was NO SLUDGE in the pan and the oil seemed to be very clean for diesel oil and the truck looked like it was looked after quite well.
i STRONGLY recommend anyone that is buying or has bought one of these rigs get the bearings changed ASAP. i can say this was an eye opener for me. i had felt this was an Aussi problem but i would agree to get these changed out.

For Luxury Import trucks ALL the HDJ81s we bring in will have the BEB changed out.

If your importer has not changed them out i would suggest approaching then and ask them why not?

cheers

crushers said:
For Luxury Import trucks ALL the HDJ81s we bring in will have the BEB changed out.cheers

Suprising eh...

You will find flaked one eventually...I will lay money on it...and sooner rather then later...

Did you use ACL's or factory?

gb

Last edited:
Satamax said:
Hi Wayne, what are thoses bearings? I have a friend who just had the crankshaft bearings changed, and he was saying that it was a fairly common prob on the HDJ80 over 100/150000km.

Con rod bearings at the crank...

hth's

gb

Greg_B said:
Suprising eh...

You will find flaked one eventually...I will lay money on it.

gb
yep...
the tolerences were perfect.

Greg_B said:
Suprising eh...

You will find flaked one eventually...I will lay money on it...and sooner rather then later...

gb
actually i was surprised. we have a abused 81 going under the knife at the end of the month so it will be interesting to see what the outcome is...
cheers

sorry for my ignorence but what motors are in that thing? What is causing those bearings to do that, that seems hurtin!!

1HZ?

It is on the early production 1HD-T engines, and 1HZ's that are hopped up.

Toyota is suppoed to have upgraded thier BEB's, but they are still the same material as the older ones.

ACL's are a different composition entirely...which is supposed to be better.

There are reports that surface once in a while about the newer Toyota BEB's showing early wear and flaking...but it is sproatic.

hth's

gb

crushers said:
l i had felt this was an Aussi problem but i would agree to get these changed out.

cheers

I believe the reason this appears to be an Aussie problem is that there are a lot of these engines there and they drive a lot of km. Australia might not look all that big on a map but it is. There are real long distances driven there.

So, if i buy one with 60K kms on it - do i change the bearings? were they all crap or do you wait until they have 100K on the engine - thats what I read on another aussie site?

let's put this way, i have 2 HDJ81s coming in with 58,000 km on them, as soon as they arrive the BEB will get changed out...

this way i won't forget. for me this is the type of service my customers have come to expect. it is about $700 to get the BEB done at a shop, cheap insurance, no?

now you might be much better at remembering to do stuff, if that is the case then by all means wait...

what is that saying?
"better safe than sorry?"

cheers

crushers said:
yep...the tolerences were perfect.

Good. I have not heard on any that have failed plastigauge yet...knock on wood.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom