81 is dead. I hate this thing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So much hate for timing belts and 80 series cruisers.
You know whats nice about both?
Well I dont really have a plus for timing belts..., and comfort baby. Loooove my 80!!!!

I don't think you can count this one as a valid data point Peter, the belt looks great. This failure has got to be due to a stressed bolt. There is no way that happens under normal conditions.
Lots of things run belts with no issues. We wont talk about Harleys though because they are truly junk...

Last edited:
E9A72422-2C2D-42BD-A6B6-016E6714ED5B.jpeg

It’s still cold out so we can’t paint...

Despite my hatred of 80s this particular 81 has at least not left us stranded in the USA.

Gorrrredoh is looking forward to Utah.

What are we looking at in that photo? Busted cam followers? (or whatever they are called in an overhead cam engine...). With 3 busted, would that be about half a rotation of the cam after the belt came loose?

5B54583F-D16B-4635-A0BC-E50918A14B98.jpeg
F52B8FDF-31EE-49BE-BB51-C18CB38769D4.jpeg

(Other photo shows adjusting shims.)

Looks like every intake valve hit.

Last edited:
Intake valve number one had to be pounded out. Exhaust number one came out like it should. Intake 3 pounded....
No fingernail hangable marks on pistons. Kissed the carbon off of them though. Some bits ended up in the pan too as can’t find all the valve shims pieces

0DACDA38-41B7-4330-BEF0-65F16C3E7404.jpeg
D5E53C1E-57C0-4142-97CC-5601EB632C7B.jpeg
90244E2F-8488-4829-A7FF-34B2E8A2C186.jpeg
CB499CAF-2CB9-46D1-B5D1-C66F6149C1A4.jpeg

Fugly

Well I evaluated my options. I'm rebuilding. New top end Tyler. Just ordered 2k worth of factory Toyota parts. Valves seals cam lifters springs. She'll be all new above the belt.

In my first 1HD-T, I got it from Japan at 115,000km, and it had a sticker indicating a belt change just before 100,000km. So I did it again just before 200,000km. When I was lining up the marks there was a couple paint pen dabs that were in a weird place, like one tooth from the notch on the pulley. Made me get extra diligent about getting everything lined up properly and turned it over by hand several times before putting the cover back on and starting it. Just chalked it up to a random bit of weirdness that there was other match marks.

Fast forward to pulling the head off 20,000km later because I had to do the head gasket, and what do I see but an imprint of an intake valve on each piston. Enough that you could actually just feel it with a fingernail.

My theory was that when the belt was done the first time the installer got the belt on one tooth off and actually turned it over. Probably ran like junk so he went back in and got the belt lined up properly.

Moral of my little story: I guess that the bottom ends of these things is pretty tough and not to worry about the marks on the pistons (not that is seemed that you were worrying anyhow). It went to 280,000km before the truck was (forcibly) removed from service with no other engine issues.

Well I evaluated my options. I'm rebuilding. New top end Tyler. Just ordered 2k worth of factory Toyota parts. Valves seals cam lifters springs. She'll be all new above the belt.

I know of another HD-T sitting. Cheap. So I'm curious as to your engine parts source? I would consider having
it resurrected if I had direction to a good source.

Likely me cheapest bet is a replacement or repair of this engine.

I can vouch that rebuilding the 1HD-T is not cheap.

Mine spun a BEB:

cost me over $15,000 to rebuild the motor including a gturbo and ip/inj rebuild. Plus a ton of other little things that nickel and dimed me. Good luck with the build!

About that pin: What does it do anyway?

Reading Carbon60's thread, then your experience Tyler and knowing my t-belt replacement was coming up it was weighing on my mind. Today I started it. Got everything removed, then went to examine the pin. Surprise...no pin. Norm was at the shop helping and neither he nor I recall hearing or seeing anything drop out when the idler assy was removed. I forgot to look at the pin location when it was all together. So, the assumption at this point is that it has not been in there for 100,000kms, since I did the waterpump, cam oil seal, idler and spring when it was all on the shop floor. I am thinking when I was going through it 100,000kms ago and and using the FSM for specs I did not realize it was not in place as the FSM timing belt section makes no mention of the pin.

So what does it do anyway, other then be used as a locator assist for putting in the 8mm timing belt idler pulley bolt and the spring bolt of the timing belt idler?

The idler pulley can move as the hole the spring bolt goes through is oblong and without the pin triangulating there may be the possibility of some minor movement of the plate (what little the shoulder of the two bolts would allow as both are torqued to 20lbs). Looking at the used idler assy, the plate between the idler assy and camshaft oil seal retainer (pic of the retainer I mean is on page EM-79 of the FSM) shows virtually no wear, the two bolts that go through the plate and camshaft oil seal retainer show no grooving or wear marks where the plate would be resting when everything is bolted in place.

In my brief peruse through the FSM I can not find mention of the pin. If anyone locates this section in the FSM please let me know.

Hope you don't mind this slight jack of your thread @arnott1t but I thought it might generate some good discussion. I'm going to post up on the thread in the diesel section as well for the wider audience. If you want it moved let me know.

gb

So what the plan for you greg? Replace the pin or keeping living the wild lifestyle pinless and free? if you get a pin run it though the pulleys and see if it bends the tensioner!

So what the plan for you greg? Replace the pin or keeping living the wild lifestyle pinless and free? if you get a pin run it though the pulleys and see if it bends the tensioner!

:lol::lol:

I am undecided. Rob's sending one pin over from VI and I may tap it in there when it's cold and with some adhesive of some sort. In the meantime another wrinkle showed up. A 1993 1HD-T close by has two pins in place. That matches the detail on the EPC which shows two pins the t-belt diagram. It looks like the backing plate on the idler bearing assy rests against the 2nd pin. There has not been a lot of discussion on what the pin(s) do on that thread. I'm just going to post up a couple photos of my used idler and plate on the pin thread in the diesel section.

Pinless and free...that has a ring to it. lol.

gb

...tap it in there when it's cold and with some adhesive of some sort.

Permatex Sleeve Retainer is the some sort of adhesive you are seeking:

Suggested Applications: Retaining bushings, cup plugs, gears, dowel pins, oil seals, ring gear bolts, differential lock pins wheel bearins, idler shafts, press fit bearings​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom