81 is dead. I hate this thing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
Driving along and hear a snap bang slap slap slap slap.

Tow home

Bad news. Tensioner bolt on timing belt died. Then pistons met valves met bad news and destruction

Opened cover and found a locating dowel from tensioner.

Then I saw the bent fxxxered tensioner
AC0CD350-0B1E-401B-B153-C0D793E7AB24.jpeg

EAEBB0D7-B924-4D93-B132-C801AC47B156.jpeg

Then I pulled valve cover. Some of the lifters are jammed. Cam lobes damaged
7ED71D00-A31F-4347-A6DB-929387209955.jpeg
4E1C22EC-089C-4E48-AA43-A324FD163AAA.jpeg

B3274A1D-3669-4B96-B329-FA8098A2FAC7.jpeg

Sad Tyler
I’m seriously considering a part out

That sucks. :(

Oh man really sorry to see this. I have never heard of that happening before, don't know much about the 1hdt though. Is that common?

Sorry to hear about this.

Nope. No part out.
Oh man really sorry to see this. I have never heard of that happening before, don't know much about the 1hdt though. Is that common?

I’ve never heard of it sounds like bad luck .

Nope. No part out.

I’ve never heard of it sounds like bad luck .

Wowsers! Sorry to hear that. Do you know if the tensioner was replaced when timing belt was done last?

New belt tensioner and spring about 20000 km ago or less.

Time for a LS Swap!

I ask because of lack of experience...

Is an LS swap on a diesel platform that much harder than LS swap on a gas platform.

I guess with the LS one is bringing in the ECU, fuel pump, water pump etc, so it's a matter of getting spark, fuel, air and attaching it to the drivertrain which is the same for an fzj to ls swap, the system on the 81 is already 12 volts.

I've been thinking on an LS swap after recently coming into a 5.3l engine and tranny combo. My plan would be a 5.3l 4L60E atlas combo I think... Then I could get lower gears and bolt right up to my engine tranny that I have. Since the trans I have is a 4x4 version the adapters to toyota T case wont work and would need a different trans. like cost neutral or close going atlas or going to buy the other trans I could use.

Fuel would be custom alum or steel fuel tank to replace the stocker one and get more range. Similar to troopy. Stab the factory chev fuel pump into the custom tank. keep it interal mounted.

Engine mounts are what they are.

It would be an entirely different direction. the s***ty part being the RHD. I would not do a swap but it would seem odd to have a rhd gasser LS swapped 80.....

I've been thinking on an LS swap after recently coming into a 5.3l engine and tranny combo. My plan would be a 5.3l 4L60E atlas combo I think... Then I could get lower gears and bolt right up to my engine tranny that I have. Since the trans I have is a 4x4 version the adapters to toyota T case wont work and would need a different trans. like cost neutral or close going atlas or going to buy the other trans I could use.

Fuel would be custom alum or steel fuel tank to replace the stocker one and get more range. Similar to troopy. Stab the factory chev fuel pump into the custom tank. keep it interal mounted.

Engine mounts are what they are.

It would be an entirely different direction. the s***ty part being the RHD. I would not do a swap but it would seem odd to have a rhd gasser LS swapped 80.....

yeah you're right it would be odd, and what's the point at that moment?

Either diesel rhd or LFHD LS swapped

It would be odd to have a RHD LS swapped truck, but that truck has so many other good bits on it, its a shame to part it out and lose your shirt on it.

Sorry to hear about the engine, always sucks when things break (my mountain sled engine just went kaput and I know how you feel). But my vote is part it and pour your money into the 45 as a daily driver, it would make you smile on a boring day to work more then the 80 could, wheeling on the best trail in Alberta! Just sayin ;)

I've always been a bit dubious of interference engines that use timing belts. Back in the early 90's, Tanis had a Nissan Micra, and it went through 2 belts, and blew up 2 engines. My Old 1985 MR2, which had a non-interference engine, also lost 2 timing belts, but destroyed... zero engines.

As such, I was always avoided 1HZ/1HD-T's, but those in the know told me that I am being a ninny for worrying about timing-belt induced engine catastrophes, because with proper maintenance, they never fail. Well, after 25 years of waiting, I finally now have a single data point to justify my concerns.

I am truly sorry, Tyler, that yours had to be my data point, but I have a theory about timing belts... and now I have a data point to prove it! Pushrods forever!

You know what uses push-rods. 12HT's, 13B-T's, LS's and Cummins's.

ya who knows what happened with this one. Likely me cheapest bet is a replacement or repair of this engine.

The trouble is time. I just have some many other fun projects I'd rather pursue than fix an 80 series...

I would set it out in the pasture and work on the fun projects, and patiently wait until the right parts/motor comes along that makes sense. Parts are always more expensive when you are in a hurry.

I'd vote for park it out back and let time pass. Maybe an engine or parts truck will pop up on kijiji, or someone will steer one your way. (There was a 1HDT in South Alberta on kijiji for a steepish price last night when I looked) Or you'll find someone interested in taking it on themselves. Like you say, you've got plenty of fun stuff to work on rather than dwell on this right now.

Hate to say it but part it and move on.
You have a rather larger land cruiser farm to tend to with things way cooler than an 81.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom