81 is dead. I hate this thing. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What did you learn?

I was feeling some regret that I didn't buy this HDJ81 when it was for sale for a killer good deal. A built 81 with 5 speed is pretty rare, I only know of 3.

However, my learning has been... I was lucky that Tyler bought this instead of me!

I am very happy that Tyler lives his life like a cautionary tale to others of what they should not do. ;)

You following me into the depths of inner air lockdem seems to indicate my tales aren't cautionary enough.

So how much are you offering.

E5784A02-795B-4EAE-A932-69161FD88F36.jpeg

Last edited:
A79E5D74-21B7-4038-956E-439303C8EB06.jpeg
Dropped the head and all my shined bits off at enginetechmachining in Edmonton. Met the owner and some of the staff. They seemed awesome walked me through the entire process of what they’d be doing. Gave me a tour of the shop too and showed me some of there work. They work on just about any engine in North America. He mentioned they were another business built on ford and their engine troubles ha!

Anyhow.... should have head back this week ready to drop on.

Pulled the pan today to fish out the rest of the valve shims and give it a look over

Nothing obvious so far. Turns over smooth too.

6B9CCADB-FA27-4821-A642-8748A4B292D9.jpeg
5E07B22A-B177-4039-ABEB-45FC18D5262A.jpeg
Head is sitting in place. Oil pan is on. Getting the bits back together. Hope to run by the end of the day.

Good progress.

I am no longer pinless and free. I have one pin in place and used a little Permatex Sleeve Retainer 64050. Its a tight fit so I would imagine most sloughed off as I tapped it in, but maybe there will be some placebo affect (for me).

There is an update though on the "pin" thread where a fellow with a Philippines spec 1996 1HD-T in which EPC shows no pin and no provision for a pin...still using the spring style idler. I've not had time to run part numbers for the cam oil seal retainer to see if someone ordering that plate now for an engine that came with pins (one or two apparently) has a part change up and anything now would be pinless. Of if the newer 1HZ's still use a pin.

I'll likely take the cover off at some point in the not too distant future to check the pin. Next 100,000kms timing belt will involve the WP replacement so the cam oil seal retainor cover will be coming off as well.

gb

All done and on the road. Running smooth by all accounts. Took it for a few test drives yesterday and my overly sensitive ears couldn’t pick much up. Need to check for oil leaks and those sorts of thing but mostly it seems ok.

All done and on the road. Running smooth by all accounts. Took it for a few test drives yesterday and my overly sensitive ears couldn’t pick much up. Need to check for oil leaks and those sorts of thing but mostly it seems ok.

that is great news!

03BA42DD-1152-43E5-811D-E6FCB13AC0CD.jpeg
Utah bound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom