80 vs Patrol Front Shock Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
So, looking at shocks being sold new-in-box. Rear set is for 80/105 50mm (2 inch) lift. Front set is marked on the box as being for Patrol Y60+ 5 inch lift. I'm told they are the same as / interchangeable with the the 80/105 front shocks.

The rear shock boxes also have the following designation: O/L 627/385.
The front shock boxes are marked O/L 620mm, C/L 365mm.

I'm assuming the larger number less the smaller equals shock travel. Which would make the front and rear pretty damned close--and the spec on the 80/105 front shocks says "10-inch travel." Still, I know zip about Patrols and not a whole lot at this point about 80 suspensions. So...

I assume a few millimeters isn't going to make any difference, but...

What about the weight of the Patrol vs 80 front end? Or does this make no (or not much) difference because the weight is mostly on the springs?

Thanks for any help!

i would also read that as bigger number extended length and smaller number compressed length, and quick mathing in my head and your at about 10 in of travel on the shocks.

the difference in weight between the trucks wont make a difference, the load is on the springs not the shocks. if it was trying to make one work for the other and there was no cross over on the p/n then there may be a difference in the internal valving. as long at its pin/pin front and pin/eye rear mounting points then its at least worth the risk to buy and see

Patrol is very similar to 80 in many ways. They are like close cousins.

Its fairly common for lifted y60 patrols to have modified shock towers. Not certain why.

I'd do more homework before buying something that's labelled for a patrol.

Patrol is very similar to 80 in many ways. They are like close cousins.

Its fairly common for lifted y60 patrols to have modified shock towers. Not certain why.

I'd do more homework before buying something that's labelled for a patrol.
I assume you mean modded by owners after purchase. Shocks are unused.

I assume you mean modded by owners after purchase. Shocks are unused.
Yes, a mod I've seen a bit on patrols is to use flat bar steel brackets to raise the attachment point of the shocks on the frame.

I did similar on my 105 series cruiser to allow me to run longer shocks with standard bump stops. I did it for greater travel on a 2" lift. Bolt in solution on a patrol, cut and weld on a cruiser

a10ed352-02a2-43dd-85f2-dcbf01969550.jpg

May be a total distraction from answering your question.

I do know there are a lot of differences between cruiser and patrol suspension systems and components.
They use the same basic design, but from my knowledge, if the shocks are directly interchangeable, they'd be about the only component that is.

Verify for yourself. Buyer beware. Caveat emptor. Blah blah blah

Yes, a mod I've seen a bit on patrols is to use flat bar steel brackets to raise the attachment point of the shocks on the frame.

I did similar on my 105 series cruiser to allow me to run longer shocks with standard bump stops. I did it for greater travel on a 2" lift. Bolt in solution on a patrol, cut and weld on a cruiser

View attachment 3062143

May be a total distraction from answering your question.

I do know there are a lot of differences between cruiser and patrol suspension systems and components.
They use the same basic design, but from my knowledge, if the shocks are directly interchangeable, they'd be about the only component that is.

Verify for yourself. Buyer beware. Caveat emptor. Blah blah blah
I see what you mean. The shocks are sold by the mfr for use on new Patrols, so they weren't intended for use on something modified after purchase...

So, your first post mentions "5" lift" for y60 patrol.
This kinda threw me. Is the same shock intended for a 5" lift on an 80?
So, here's the thing: No. Intended for 2" lift on 80. Couple of mm diff on overall travel between 80 spec 2" travel and Patrol spec 5"; I doubt that matters. But I've never changed out a suspension. Does this appear properly configured for mounting on an 80?

So, here's the thing: Yes. Couple of mmm diff on travel, I doubt that matters. But I've never changed out a suspension. Does this appear properly configured for mounting on an 80?

80s front shocks are pin top and bottom, so yes.
Rear shocks are eye top and bottom.

So, looking at shocks being sold new-in-box. Rear set is for 80/105 50mm (2 inch) lift. Front set is marked on the box as being for Patrol Y60+ 5 inch lift. I'm told they are the same as / interchangeable with the the 80/105 front shocks.
So maybe I'm missing something?

Your looking at shocks to suit 80series 2" lift in the rear, and to suit Y60 5" lift in the front?

Does the Y60 5" lift shock equate to 2" lift for 80 series?

80s front shocks are pin top and bottom, so yes.
Rear shocks are eye top and bottom.

So maybe I'm missing something?

Your looking at shocks to suit 80series 2" lift in the rear, and to suit Y60 5" lift in the front?

Does the Y60 5" lift shock equate to 2" lift for 80 series?
The dimensions and travel seem nearly identical. So it's a matter of whether they'll bolt up. Do they LOOK like they'll bolt up? Would you know they weren't 80 shocks to look at them?

Okay then, thank you! The mfr says they're interchangeable; just figured I'd check here too. Can't be too careful, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom