80 vs 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Agree, but I do like the idea of the 1HZ. Bullet proof as balls and such a long run, parts availability has gotta be pretty easy as far as imported landcruisers go.
I would argue that a 1HD-### is no less reliable than a 1HZ - have owned and tuned a few now and imho much easier to keep cooler when working hard than a 1HZ, if the 1HZ is turboed especially plus better cold start, better fuel economy etc.

I would argue that a 1HD-### is no less reliable than a 1HZ - have owned and tuned a few now and imho much easier to keep cooler when working hard than a 1HZ, if the 1HZ is turboed especially plus better cold start, better fuel economy etc.

I agree with what you say here. In my (somewhat inexperienced) opinion, the 1HZ is a great engine... perfect for backroads or wheeling. But, on the highway, it is too slow for driving in the U.S. Turboing the 1HZ makes it more peppy, but doesn't bring it on par with a 1HDxxx motor. Also, cooling seems to be something you need to pay attention to. My rig had a 1HZ-T before the 1HDT... the previous owner ended up accidentally overheating it on a mountain pass.

Mechanically, the 105 series is superior to the 80 series in a number of ways. Not earth shatteringly so, it's not necessarily more powerful or capable, but they strengthened some parts of the drivetrain that do make it tougher when you're pushing things to the real extremes. The HZJ105 standard model is probably the best Landcruiser you could buy for offroading capabilities on a stock setup. I hate the dash though, much prefer the late model 80 series dash. You're also potentially in a tougher spot when it comes to some parts, because the 105 series didn't see nearly as many vehicles made as the 80 series, and there are some things that aren't shared with the 100 series.

Most significantly, from the outside everyone thinks you just have a boring IFS 100 series, so you lose some of the automatic coolness factor. You don't want to have to explain to people "No, you see, it's actually a 105 series, my one is the cool one!", to which everyone will reply "What's a 105 series?" :D

Solution? Get both an 80 series and a 105 series. Live the dream!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom