80 suspension and axles under a 40 1/2 way there (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Work in progress. Started 2 or 3 weeks ago on the rear suspension and it is almost done. Turning out better than I expected. It will sit a little bit lower once I get some weight on the back. Should be plenty of room for 35's, maybe even 37's. :) and yes it has the factory locker.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Can you post a pick showing how far out the wheels extend out of the wheel wells? 80 series are ~6 inches wider than 40 series, right?

I'm sorry, but two pics of a coiled 40 is just plain rude. Let see this thing! :D

Can you post a pick showing how far out the wheels extend out of the wheel wells? 80 series are ~6 inches wider than 40 series, right?

7-3/8" wider. :eek: You can get 2.5" of that back by using later model wheels, but that's still 2.5" wider on each side.

If love a pic of the space between inner wheel well and tire. Or a measurement. I'm hoping to do something a lot like this on my troopy but want to squeeze some ori struts in on the outside of the frame...

Thanks

I've always thought about taking an 80 frame and axles, cut it to match the wheel base of a 40, then put the 40 body on it. The 80 axles under a 40 frame is cool also. What do the coils look like in the front?

I've always thought about taking an 80 frame and axles, cut it to match the wheel base of a 40, then put the 40 body on it. The 80 axles under a 40 frame is cool also. What do the coils look like in the front?

Iron Pig did it. Lance wheels the piss out of it too.

FZJ40

image.jpg
Thanks for the comments. Made some backwards progress recently before I go forward. First pic is the latest. And second is a pic of the 80 series rims and axle width. I plan on narrowing it a little with 4runner, taco or fj cruiser rims later. As you can see I still have a lot to do but this is kinda my last project to work on if I'm bored kinda thing. Slow progress is better than no progress.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

did you cut the long side to match the short?
left te 80 axles in tact.... E locked one in the rear and the front will be as soon as I get around to swapping it out of my Lexus.

the main problem with that is the width. firewall / rear /alot of work vs just dropping body on shortened frame.

far easier route is to just drop in 1fz and keep leafs if u have a 80 donor
I wanted to stretch the wheelbase and the whole truck needed a lot of cutting, grinding, welding, building and rebuilding. Plan on going propane to start and once I get bored with that, a 1uz like my other truck.

If love a pic of the space between inner wheel well and tire. Or a measurement. I'm hoping to do something a lot like this on my troopy but want to squeeze some ori struts in on the outside of the frame...

Thanks
This is with the oem fzj 80 wheels and tires. Flexing it out will get you closer to the frame too. Haven't got that far yet. I plan on going bigger, 315 75 16 tires inset a little for street use.
image.jpg

image.jpg

what springs are u using? stock 80?

and LCAs are stock 80? did you open up the bushing mount width or match that to 80?
Using as much of the oem 80 parts as possible. I am not into custom parts unless I can build them myself or repairing a factory weak point.. Springs are one of the sets of 80 series I had sitting around, rears are under the frame to match the axle bucket width. Still working on the front height to match. Have to get it near completion for that. I'm trying to keep it as low as possible. Front control arms are still in their factory location but I may flip over the axle if I have room once I get it together and running.

jimep,

I've done this mod. You will be very happy when you finish it. Glad to see you left the 80 axles alone. I enjoy the wider stance 40 with 80 axles also makes it more aggressive and safe. I didn't change over to coils in the rear but did in the front, heard arguments both ways regarding coils in the rear (May or may not in the future convert the rear to coils).

Looking forward to see how this turns out!!

Good Luck and keep the pictures coming.

1456881812258-1198595189.jpg
it's hard finding the time but slowly getting stuff done. Doing body work and tube work at the same time. I have a fj80 steering box that needs mounted and once I get all the weight back on it, hook up the front track bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom