80 series wheel bearing (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey everyone, so yesterday i found a bit of play in my front right wheel bearing.
today i took them out and repacked them, when i took it for a test drive (15 mins down the road)
the hub seemed to be a bit warmer then the other sides , not hot to touch just warm . there is no play at all in the bearing, is it possible i have set the pre load to tight or pack them with to much grease?
i also heard that the brake callipers can seize up causing the hubs to heat up as well.
i'm planning on driving across aus next week and i know if i don't fix it i'm going to run into trouble.
any thoughts or advice? cheers

what kind of play did you see? 12-6 o clock on wheel (wheel bearing preload), 9-3 0 clock on wheel (trunion bearings).

when you reset your wheel bearing preload what tightening procedure did you use on the inner nut and outer nut? are you running larger tires?

As long as your pads arent smoking after a quick drive and you can turn the rotor when that side is on jackstand I cant imagine thats your issue.

Need more information from you before recommending anything.

it had play from 12-6 o'clock

i did the inner nut up finger tight and another 1/4 turn with the socket and the outer nut up a lot tighter but extremely tight .

im running 32

It's normal for freshly packed bearings to run slightly warm, until the excess grease is pushed away from the rollers.

how long does that take ?

Would expect less than 100mi. Depends on how much grease, most think it takes, or is beneficial to put excessive grease. The proper amount is slightly proud of the races, needs to have air space.
hub.jpg

If your new to Land Cruisers, and do a search, Mud member Tool R Us has a real nice thread on the correct way to pre load your front wheel bearings, and the correct way to do it is NOT found in the factory service manual.

You'll need a fish scale and a inch / lb. torque wrench. And I also have a bridge I'll sell you cheap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the FSM has the torque stated wrong. Supposed to be in/lbs opposed to ft/lbs. Or at least my LX 450 FMS does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom