80 Series rollover on "Matt's Offroad Recovery" Youtube channel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kabanstva

SILVER Star
Threads
Has this been posted already? So sad to watch. Especially seeing how easily it went through the bigger obstacles only to roll over on a flat/off-angle piece of land.

Big tall top heavy 80-series can unload their suspension.

F9E2952B-95C2-4658-B4F2-C4E0BB68ED70.jpeg

F6B8407F-4222-484A-8999-1A0B611DB896.jpeg

I was running 4” of lift, 12” shocks and no sway bars. Off camber high speed climb in the dunes, unloaded on one side similar to the video and over it went.

Cheers

Big tall top heavy 80-series can unload their suspension.

View attachment 2577411
View attachment 2577412

I was running 4” of lift, 12” shocks and no sway bars. Off camber high speed climb in the dunes, unloaded on one side similar to the video and over it went.

Cheers
That's painful to see. Is the truck totalled at that point? Did you keep and fix it?

Completely wasted body wise, cut it up and recycled it. Not a single spec of rust on it anywhere, had just refreshed paint and all body rubber.

Chassis and engine was fine. I drove it home 100 miles. I put an FJ62 body on its chassis.

Cheers

Hate to see that. Too bad the driver didn't think to turn hard to the downhill side and punch it. Could have saved it most likely. Very slow roll over.

That 80 looks like it's really tall. @SNLC case is also very sad. 4" is a big 80 I'd think it would be okay.

Run sway bars. Sure disconnect the front when wheeling. Wheels with an aggressive offset help make her stance wider too. Id run spacers, but I'm not a fan of em...

I've been watching a lot of competition rock crawling videos lately and I'd agree with @flintknapper point it down and PUNCH it!

It's mostly allll suspension, I wonder if @SNLC had softer coil rate?

Be careful out there!

I mean they flip the 80 back over, throw some water in the radiator and she starts up and drives off..... just sayin..... :)

For those who haven't seen this channel, it's really entertaining. Excellent content.

this! It’s so great! For a YouTube channel about pulling stuck people out it’s got more character development than season 8 or all the sequels..... :). :cool: :deadhorse:

That looked very steep and it was his wife/girlfiend driving so probably pretty inexperienced behind the wheel - I bet a lot of us would have made the same mistake. If the jeep hadn't been there they would have gone for a ride.

That looked very steep and it was his wife/girlfiend driving so probably pretty inexperienced behind the wheel - I bet a lot of us would have made the same mistake. If the jeep hadn't been there they would have gone for a ride.
You're right I just rewatched. It is pretty steep and yeah she was behind the wheel :steer:

She was also behind the wheel for most the things leading up to it too, made a lot of the people there look bad

She was also behind the wheel for most the things leading up to it too, made a lot of the people there look bad

It's understandable and all too easy to get a little suspension bounce at the wrong time. All it takes in some situations.

Her reaction to it was actually pretty quick (you can see the brake lights come on)....so that 'seat of pants feeling' that you might be going over was already there. Even more experienced driver's might not have thought to take evasive actions or had time to do it.

Easy to look at it after the fact and suggest a corrective 'maneuver'....not quite so easy to employ it when its YOUR ass puckered. That is not lost on me. I've been in my share of precarious situations. Sometimes there's a remedy, sometimes not. But always good to have thought about them beforehand and to draw on the experiences of others.

So glad no one was hurt and always shocked to see how much the 'lid' can crumble on these things. Makes one think even a minimal roll cage inside might make a difference. But so little room for one.

Saw another 80 flop over on it's side on the trail just behind me. Very similar results, busted body and windows, but winched it back upright and it started right up and wheeled the rest of the day with no issues.

3rd time I've seen someone roll (twice in person) and I'm always stunned at how calm and cool the drivers and passengers are. I would be somewhere between swearing about it and needing to have a cry after putting all that work into my rig.

and I'm always stunned at how calm and cool the drivers and passengers are. I would be somewhere between swearing about it and needing to have a cry after putting all that work into my rig.

^^^^^

Yeah, I've had my Cruiser for 21 of its 24 years of life, so its my 'baby'. It would bring tears to my eyes if anything significant were ever to happen to it.

Perhaps some off road training wheels that bolt up to the bumpers.....

1612813188177.png

I'm just glad to hear there were no injuries, I'm sure everyone involved is talking about lessons learned.

Perhaps some off road training wheels that bolt up to the bumpers.....

View attachment 2579689

I'm just glad to hear there were no injuries, I'm sure everyone involved is talking about lessons learned.

Or 'Curb Feelers'. Once you get tilted enough that they are touching the ground, then you know to stop. Poor-man's inclinometer maybe?

CF.jpg

Been there, done that! It always happens when you suspect the least. Just roll it back over, check the fluids, check your ego, and drive it out. After all, it is a Landcruiser.

Been there, done that! It always happens when you suspect the least. Just roll it back over, check the fluids, check your ego, and drive it out. After all, it is a Landcruiser.

My favorite (Stormin Norman). Just on its side.....but definitely testing the strength of the Land Cruisers running gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom