80 series power steering reservoir leak repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

First time post here, after a long time of following and appreciating your collective wisdom.

Previous leaks to power steering fluid seem to be to do with hoses and o-rings, but my 1992 4.2 diesel LC has a leak coming from the reservoir itself. Around the shoulder it seems. I've cleaned it off then driven to inspect where the fluid is coming from and the photo shows what happens next. I'm not sure if the best way to deal with it is to replace the whole reservoir or whether a high-temp sealant would be a good enough fix up short-term?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Phoebe

unnamed.jpeg
?

Hello all,

First time post here, after a long time of following and appreciating your collective wisdom.

Previous leaks to power steering fluid seem to be to do with hoses and o-rings, but my 1992 4.2 diesel LC has a leak coming from the reservoir itself. Around the shoulder it seems. I've cleaned it off then driven to inspect where the fluid is coming from and the photo shows what happens next. I'm not sure if the best way to deal with it is to replace the whole reservoir or whether a high-temp sealant would be a good enough fix up short-term?

Phoebe
It's fairly easy to pry the reservoir open. I have beat the indentations out a bit and pulled/cleaned the screen when I have had them open. Then I apply an RTV sealant to the gasket, squeeze the top on in a vice, and bend the tabs to secure the top.

Hello all,

Phoebe

View attachment 2630215?
Buy a new one.

Seriously. I bought one about two months ago.

Mine has had the same issues, I cleaned and sealed the top "lid" and installed a new cap and that worked well for a while. The seam at the bottom of mine has started to leak as well so it looks like the bottom hose is leaking, when it's actually the reservoir.

Thanks both!

Spike, how long did your RTV sealant solution work for?

And BILT4ME, thanks for your message. How was the deinstall/reinstall?
The instructions in my manual are a bit brief... But maybe it's a pretty straight forward job?

Thanks again :)

2nd the just replace it. Pretty simple to replace. Just get a turkey baster or injector from the dollar store and suck out as much fluid as possible from the reservoir. Once you have emptied the reservoir just pull off the low pressure hoses, 3/8" and 5/8". May as well replace those too. You'll have residual fluid left in the hoses so make sure to have a bunch of towels and a drip pan below to catch some of the fluid. Reassemble and fill up the reservoir. Once you have filled it back up, make sure to jack up the front end and turn the wheels lock to lock several times to make sure your get all of the air out of the system.

Excellent, thanks all. Looks like the best option is to just get a new one. Thanks RayRay27 and johnheld for your input!

Phoebe

Excellent, thanks all. Looks like the best option is to just get a new one. Thanks RayRay27 and johnheld for your input!

Phoebe
Double check the P/N given above.

You have a 1992 Diesel. The part number listed above may be for a different model engine.

Go here to check:
www.partsouq.com

Double check the P/N given above.

You have a 1992 Diesel. The part number listed above may be for a different model engine.

Go here to check:
www.partsouq.com
Oops...missed that part. Sorry about that chief.

Well, I got the new part, the right fluid, some hose, a double barb etc, and replaced the reservoir, jacked it up and did a flush at the same time. It's all looking good.

However, the out hose was really tough to get back on to the new reservoir and after two of us toiling away for half an hour we were about to give up and call a mechanic! But then a brainwave came - we set the hairdryer on the hose and see if it would loosen it up. One minute on a hot blast and it slid on happily!

Thanks for your help all.

Well, I got the new part, the right fluid, some hose, a double barb etc, and replaced the reservoir, jacked it up and did a flush at the same time. It's all looking good.

However, the out hose was really tough to get back on to the new reservoir and after two of us toiling away for half an hour we were about to give up and call a mechanic! But then a brainwave came - we set the hairdryer on the hose and see if it would loosen it up. One minute on a hot blast and it slid on happily!

Thanks for your help all.
Did you use the part number for the gas 80 series or did you need a different part number for the diesel? I have a 93 diesel that needs a reservoir badly. Cherrs

Did you use the part number for the gas 80 series or did you need a different part number for the diesel? I have a 93 diesel that needs a reservoir badly. Cherrs
Hi Matyw, I know that the diesel & petrol reservoirs are different but we didn’t order a legit part so it didn’t have a number I could pass on for you. We saved $100 and it's perfectly fine though.

Ah yeah that sounds good. It was suggested here, but apparently there also seems to be an issue of whatever seal is in there being dissolved by not using the correct fluid... I hope your fix job holds up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom