80 Series lift OZ Queensland (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok peeps anyone in QLD OZ can explain this one.
So 3” suspension 35 wheels is illegal but if u have it tested ur all good ? So if u put exactly the same spec as a tested vehicle fitted by a suspension workshop but don’t get yours tested how can u be illegal then 🤷🏻‍♂️
what’s your thoughts ?

A 50mm lift is max legal lift in OZ without an engineering certificate. You can go higher, but to make it legal, you must pay a registered, qualified automotive engineer that's registered to inspect modified vehicles. If your car passes the scrutiny, he'll then issue you with an engineering certificate. You then need to update your vehicle registration, which has the engineering certificate with your list of authorised modifications attached. Expect the entire process to cost around $2000, provided there's nothing wrong.

The police do know when they run your rego what the list of authorised mods are. So how is it illegal? If the mods haven't been inspected and registered for your plates, it's illegal, and the cops will know.

And following on from above, you’ll need to do a lane serve test to prove the vehicle can change lanes safely at 100kp/h.

apparently the governing body went to the major car clubs years ago when they were drafting the national rules for input. Car clubs and various people were asking for stupid amounts (like 6” lift etc) and there was so much fighting and s*** that the governing body just decided to make it a blanket 2” lift.

I am personally a little disappointed, I would like to have seen 3” (2” suspension lift and a 2” wheel increase (gaining 1” height)).
To be fair though, running 35s and 3” lift isn’t always safe for other road users. I see far too many bogans doing lift cheaply (Eg just fitting bigger springs/shocks without doing the other required mods to make the vehicle handle properly), and lots of guys heavily loading the vehicle without doing anything to the brakes, then driving around with massive bullbars.

personally I would be happy to still have the inspection process, but it should be run regularly at a cheaper price. As above, I was quoted around $3k in Victoria per attempt to get the lane swerve test completed. Makes it difficult to do the right thing when it’s so bloody expensive.

so if you did a lift thats more than 2 in or 50mm how would the police know since you wouldnt have to reregister the truck? it seems like if you were just over the max limit you could maybe get way with it

Highway patrol and police often have blitzes on this sort of stuff where they pulley any vehicle over that doesn’t look stock and do measurements... fines can easily be in the thousands of dollars

A 50mm lift is max legal lift in OZ without an engineering certificate. You can go higher, but to make it legal, you must pay a registered, qualified automotive engineer that's registered to inspect modified vehicles. If your car passes the scrutiny, he'll then issue you with an engineering certificate. You then need to update your vehicle registration, which has the engineering certificate with your list of authorised modifications attached. Expect the entire process to cost around $2000, provided there's nothing wrong.

The police do know when they run your rego what the list of authorised mods are. So how is it illegal? If the mods haven't been inspected and registered for your plates, it's illegal, and the cops will know.
If u put the same spec on as the guy who went through the process of engineers cert Surely u don’t need to

But the guy who got his engineered may have done a full suspension/brake solution and the vehicle may have been stripped bare with no accessories.

if you allowed everyone to follow the same lift/wheel size you’d get guys just putting the same size springs/big tyres on cars with overloaded roof racks, massive bullbars/heavy winches, crappy brakes etc etc.

I’ve been modifying cars for a long time now and when I see some of the crap people do I’m kind of glad the rules are in place and being enforced.

Unfortunately there is no room for common sense. It is funny how if you live in the US or Canada you can have massive tyres. My thought for suspension lifts and tyres are 1. Only lift as high as necessary to fit larger tyres, keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. 2. Upgrade the suspension component to make the lift safe e.g correct castor and adjustable panhard rods to recenter diffs. 3. I you have a lift and larger tyres, drive the vehicle in a fitting manner on road being aware that some of its handling has been compromised. 4. Lifts and larger tyres make a huge difference to off road ability , the difference a lift and larger tyres made to my 80 is incredible and it fine on the bitumen as well.

lifttyres.jpg

Unfortunately there is no room for common sense. It is funny how if you live in the US or Canada you can have massive tyres. My thought for suspension lifts and tyres are 1. Only lift as high as necessary to fit larger tyres, keep the centre of gravity as low as possible. 2. Upgrade the suspension component to make the lift safe e.g correct castor and adjustable panhard rods to recenter diffs. 3. I you have a lift and larger tyres, drive the vehicle in a fitting manner on road being aware that some of its handling has been compromised. 4. Lifts and larger tyres make a huge difference to off road ability , the difference a lift and larger tyres made to my 80 is incredible and it fine on the bitumen as well.

View attachment 2628093
Thanks guys, just trying to understand the process, so there are so many vehicle with 35” and 3” plus lifts and I’m sure a lot not tested where do they stand in an accident ? Even if insurance state it’s covered .
Thanks

Yeah, it is a very good question. With regards to insurance, if you are running an illegal setup I would suggest going with a decent insurance company (say Shannon’s) as they are in the business of actually helping customers.

Companies like Youi will reject a claim if the crash happens to happen on say a Tuesday or whatever irreverent excuse they can come up with, so if you had even one minor roadworthy issue Youi would try and reject your claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom