80 series internal roll bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try http://www.sleeoffroad.com . Under the for sale section you will find more pics of this 80 :

driverseat.jpg

Might be the idea you're after ...

T

The guy who owns the fab shop that just did the cage in my race car would love to do one. But he's in Portland OR. Prolly not gonna help you out in AZ. He's done some Heeps, and other 4WD stuff. He's pretty much a wizard with cages. If anyone in the NW was thinking about it, his name is Russ Nyberg. The shop is Racetech Fabrication. >>> http://www.racetechfab.com/gallery.html

Here's a Pinzgauer he did an external cage on.
Pinz1b-vi.jpg

Where is the for sale section @christo's site? I'm assuming this is an 80 that he has consigned?

I'd like to put in a rear cage very similar to what $OR used to sell for 60 series many years ago.

There was also (I think) some discussion in the hardcore section here and I know of some on the 80's intl list.

Personally, I only know about 3 rolling 80's in the last 2 years and everyone walked away ok. Roll cage would always help, but in all 3 cases, they walked away. Thankfully.

My thoughts....
Maybe exocage the body to go with the sliders makes more sense. Considering the price of body parts...... :D

[quote author=Pokemon link=board=2;threadid=9699;start=msg85626#msg85626 date=1073420327]
My thoughts....
Maybe exocage the body to go with the sliders makes more sense. Considering the price of body parts...... :D
[/quote]

Externally-caged 80 would be cool, I still cant' imagine that body damage doesn't stiill occur even with an externaly cage though. Just thinking of a year or two from now when I start taking my son to Moab...

if you put an exo cage on an 80, in my opinion, your going to put so much crap on that thing that you'll want to roll it. :flipoff2:

if you want your trip with your son to be safe, then that means you may have to do less demanding trails. seriously, no joke. Think of it this way, your son will have fun when the truck is moving, but if it's all standing around spotting and worse yet, wrenching like on the front end, that he'll likely be totally bored. I've seen it happen on the trail with kids that have gone wheeling before and nothing sucks more, except Gumby's momma, than having a bored kid along on a ride.

Just food for thought.

Let me clarify just a little more in that I have perfect expectations of the challenges of maintaining interest with the little one, however, in order to wheel, WIFE suggests roll cage as to take son. Thinking proper approval has been given from management to have some fun, so there really are TWO cases here.

Just wanted to mention it none-the-less.

Hey, after all, how many wives would approve an internal cage? Not many. Got to dig it.

[quote author=3fj40 link=board=2;threadid=9699;start=msg85693#msg85693 date=1073425499]
WIFE suggests roll cage as to take son. [/quote]

:eek:Does she have any sisters? ;)

:cheers:

mot

[quote author=mot link=board=2;threadid=9699;start=msg85860#msg85860 date=1073438046]
Does she have any sisters?
[/quote]

Nope, only child. But it took years to convince/introctrinate her.

I want something in the bed that looks like this:

having been in one of the three 80 series that went belly up I think the roll cage has some merit and some drawbacks. I walked away from mine (happened on moab rim trail on the way down the z turn) I had my then 3 year old son with me on the trail but I instituted a pucker (as in your hind end) test. If I was at all worried about an obstacle my son was given the boot and walked a section with a freind of mine who was riding with me. I highly recomend this approach to anyone taking the kids on the trail with them.
back to the cage. the biggest factor after driver mistakes (mine) is the amount of weight on the top of these trucks. they are very top heavy for off camber situations. do you really want to throw 100#s more steel in a roll cage right on the top of the truck? I can see the need for protection but am not sure you are not treating the problem and making the symptom worse.
in the case of exo roll cage way too much weight in all the wrong places.
Dave

And does it not really compromise your space? What about the seat reclining? I think you will really feel like in a cage :D

Mike

[quote author=Asiarider link=board=2;threadid=9699;start=msg90436#msg90436 date=1074113932]
And does it not really compromise your space? What about the seat reclining?
[/quote]

I was just talking about in the back area. So at least my space would not be compromised ;) However, I can attest to having a spare tire on the roof during CM02 that MAN that 80 sways like a mother on a trail with weight high up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom