80 Series General Tech and Classifieds (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I never understand why things like brakes become a discussion topic. :rolleyes:

Kinda like women, each is their own.

This has been covered numerous times. Grogan, Chris, Rob?

Came to the conclusion that I liked the Dobinson progressive springs; good reviews and performance.

My question is more geared to whether or not anyone wanted to chime in on the Fox shocks.

I'm sure you'll be steered towards the Iron Man foam cell shocks by this crew. Can't look a the EBAY listing on the Govt. computer. Are they included in the deal?

I loved my FSPs.

I Like the Fox too. Wanted feedback on them.

Interested in your thoughts on Dobinson if you get them. I talked to the Dobinson USA guys down in Miami when I was looking for springs for the 4Runner (Mike maybe?), I liked everything they had to say and they have interesting/different heights and rates compared to others. Just curiosity at this point.

Fox looked like a good idea when hey arrived but way too many folks leaking and needing a rebuild less than a year or 25k miles from install. I could care less if they are rebuildable if they need it that frequently.

The 3-4” zone gets skipped over or lands in the middle of most common shock mfg offerings.

Fresh 80 leather with seat coolers (and heaters) to keep your junk fresh :grinpimp:

Best mod you can do if you live in the South!

26409772-BA19-40AA-95CB-598937685F43.jpeg

5CCC3868-C765-461D-A4DB-1707B454847B.jpeg

11682E58-B0B0-48F3-AAE3-EAB6B960C606.jpeg

9F40BD10-DDAC-497E-940E-C79065869438.jpeg

1DE3DA69-16AB-442B-A9F5-AF3EDA0E12A1.jpeg

Can I get some information on those ball coolers that you are rep'ing in the above, and the perf'd skins?

They are, of course, available for purchase at my website or via phone/text/PM, but for more info, check out the thread in the 80 forum:

Seat Coolers

Looking for a 1FZ alternator bracket. Need one ASAP.

How the hell did you tear that up?

To make a long story short:

Sometime during its previous ownership, it looks like someone went in to replace the alternator. In the process of attempting to remove it, they mangled the pivot bolt so badly, that no socket would fit on the end of it. I welded a nut to it, to no avail. Because the pivot bolt threads into the back of the alternator bracket, the alternator was essentialy l not able to be removed from the bracket itself.

The next step was attempting to remove the bracket and the alternator as one piece. The bracket is held in with two bolts. One bolt is easily accessible underneath the distributor, but the other boat is behind the alternator itself. Unfortunately, the alternator cannot be pivoted up high enough out of the way, to allow access to the second bolt. The next phase was cutting the bracket off at both ears. This was extremely difficult, as there are wires, sensors, and other various things on the backside of the bracket. Using an angle grinder with a 5 inch desk, I carefully cut the rear ear of the bracket off. I then used a 3 inch cut off wheel on the front ear.

Between both of the ears, I probably spent six hours removing that damn bracket. I could have gone much faster, but I would have endangered a lot of the forementioned parts.

I did get a new bracket from Noel, and when I installed it, I made sure to use lots of antisieze.

Of course, I also replaced the alternator with a Denso reman.

Basically, one hour job became a several afternoon job.

Thank you, Previous Owner.

Last edited:
Glad I’m not only one who has days like this.... carry on!

To make a long story short:

Sometime during its previous ownership, it looks like someone went in to replace the alternator. In the process of attempting to remove it, they mangled the pivot bolt so badly, that no socket would fit on the end of it. I welded a nut to it, to no avail. Because the pivot bolt threads into the back of the alternator bracket, the alternator was essentialy l not able to be removed from the bracket itself.

The next step was attempting to remove the bracket and the alternator as one piece. The bracket is held in with two bolts. One bolt is easily accessible underneath the distributor, but the other boat is behind the alternator itself. Unfortunately, the alternator cannot be pivoted up high enough out of the way, to allow access to the second bolt. The next phase was cutting the bracket off at both ears. This was extremely difficult, as there are wires, sensors, and other various things on the backside of the bracket. Using an angle grinder with a 5 inch desk, I carefully cut the rear ear of the bracket off. I then used a 3 inch cut off wheel on the front ear.

Between both of the ears, I probably spent six hours removing that damn bracket. I could have gone much faster, but I would have endangered a lot of the forementioned parts.

I did get a new bracket from Noel, and when I installed it, I made sure to use lots of antisieze.

Of course, I also replaced the alternator with a Denso reman.

Basically, one hour job became a several afternoon job.

Thank you, Previous Owner.
Damn...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom