80 series engine swap or 100 solid axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want a solid axle LC for Moab and Colorado trails. My only hangup with the 80 series is the low power climbing the Colorado passes. Engine swaps are expensive and I have no way to do one. Would it be cheaper to SAS a 100 series?

I want a solid axle LC for Moab and Colorado trails. My only hangup with the 80 series is the low power climbing the Colorado passes. Engine swaps are expensive and I have no way to do one. Would it be cheaper to SAS a 100 series?
Cheaper to pay someone to do an SAS or self perform? If you don't have the means to engine swap, I expect the answer is you don't have the means to self perform an SAS. I would expect to pay a shop to do either, you'd be pushing or exceed $20k. Cheaper to buy an SAS'd 100, or an V8 swapped 80. Here is an example....

Maybe an imported HDJ80 with some engine mods?

I was in the process of LS-swapping my 80-series and ended up buying an already converted one. It really is about a perfect combo.

I also have a 2UZ in a built 4th gen 4Runner, and IMHO the LS is a better engine platform for these rigs. The 2UZ is a bit underpowered once you start packing on the weight. Plus no timing belt to worry about and easier serviceability and parts availability on the road.

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom