80 Series Cooling Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No I haven't, just trying to get more info. I have 10k in my old style black clutch, and a new aftermarket radiator, and my rig seems to cool fine... but I do have a stock temp gauge so who knows.

Aah, now I see, a black hub w/10K sings a nice tune!:hillbilly:

There is a big difference between clutches, a new type blue hub wouldn't equal your performance with 20K in it. The black hub is a powerful clutch with a nice valve profile, works very well with 10K, would likely smoke the belts w/20K. With that setup and the rest of the cooling system in decent condition, the rig likely runs cool with plenty of stress capacity.:cool:

Man-a-fre sells a thermostat at the 160 deegree setting for those that run a supercharger. Factory one is at the 180-192 rating. May be worth looking into. Just my 2cents. Check it out.
:beer:

Man-a-fre sells a thermostat at the 160 deegree setting for those that run a supercharger. Factory one is at the 180-192 rating. May be worth looking into. Just my 2cents. Check it out.
:beer:
Is that low of a temp going to affect the tranny not locking up until it gets to 175, or whatever? John

Aah, now I see, a black hub w/10K sings a nice tune!:hillbilly:

There is a big difference between clutches, a new type blue hub wouldn't equal your performance with 20K in it. The black hub is a powerful clutch with a nice valve profile, works very well with 10K, would likely smoke the belts w/20K. With that setup and the rest of the cooling system in decent condition, the rig likely runs cool with plenty of stress capacity.:cool:
Howdy! Just got the new (old) Eaton clutch with 15,500 installed. Thank You, Tools! So, now we get a cool spell. Might be a few days before I can really test it and compare to the New Blue with 24000. So far it is very similar, but I do notice a quicker cool down of 5-10 degrees when I get off the highway and onto side streets. John

Got the clutch out last night. As per Tool's description pretty sure it's an Eaton. Taking some grief from my wife...
"If you got car parts baking in the oven overnight... you might be a redneck"

.... you are not alone brother!

Got the clutch out last night. As per Tool's description pretty sure it's an Eaton. Taking some grief from my wife...

Might?:hillbilly:

The front half needs to be drained laying flat with the thermostat spring up. With the valve propped open or if using heat, it will open on it's own.

REMEMBER to remove rubber seal located between the two halves of the fan clutch housing!!

Installed the clutch with new 20k oil and the new 3FE fan yesterday. Big difference in amount of resistance and the new fan fit perfectly (thanks tool's). Temp gauge stays in the same position, but again, the only time I ever have had problems with heat is creeping on the trail in hot weather. We will see what it does this coming weekend.
Now for the pusher fan. I just couldnt bring myself to install the hunk of junk fan I got from the salvage yard. And like I mentioned before I'm kind of a purist so I broke down and ordered an OEM fan. Now I'm feeling a little guilt because for the same amout of money I'm sure I could have built a hospital in a third-world country or something. Anyway, at least the install will be easy.

I just looked at the price of the OEM JDM fan and I am with you!

Success!!!

I installed the pusher last September; wired it into the a/c pressure switch connector and it has worked well ever since. I had it down in the desert a few times right after making these mods, but temperatures were moderate. This last weekend we were down in the same area where I first noted my a/c cutting out this same time last year. Temperatures were in the 90s. We were out five days and two jeeps in our group left early because of a/c issues and they couldn’t take the heat. I had no problems! A/c worked flawlessly.

After changing the fan oil to 20 cst I was a little worried about the winter, but I took it up the mountain to ski several times when temps were in the teens and lower, and I noticed no change in the amount of time to warm up or in heater performance.

I want to thank Tools, Ebag, and everybody else who helped out with this.
I do have a question for Kevin though… I ran into him on the trail a couple of weeks ago and he said something about getting rid of his pusher fan. So has it been decided a pusher is not necessary?

Last edited:
Kevin's pusher got installed in my rig while waiting for a new fan clutch during the summer:mad:. It has since burned out and is abandoned in place.:hillbilly: 20k oil in the fan clutch is far more effective.:cool:

So your suggesting the pusher is overkill, and 20k oil in an Eaton fan clutch is all that is needed to keep cool when creeping in desert temps?

I have the pusher fan and thicker oil in my clutch, I live in Utah and have a supercharger like yourself, I would KEEP the pusher fan installed, mine comes on everyday in the summer and keep my rig nice and cold...
2 cents :)
Bret

I have the pusher fan and thicker oil in my clutch, I live in Utah and have a supercharger like yourself, I would KEEP the pusher fan installed, mine comes on everyday in the summer and keep my rig nice and cold...
2 cents :)
Bret
I have a similar setup, blue hub with 20+ juice, supercharger, and JDM fan. I am also using a late 2F ( think) fan. It sits farther back from the radiator, by 1/2"+, so it is closer to the original position in the shroud. I think it moves more air than the TRD ring fan that comes with the supercharger. I have the JDM fan on a manual control. I have not had a chance to use it much in 100+ temps yet, but where I have used it and seen a positive result is when running low rpm at slow ground speed. It knocks down the coolant temps by 5-10 degrees gradually, and it seems to help keep the A/C really cold. It also makes a big (20-30) difference on the intake temps. It's nice to keep those as low as possible. John

With a supercharger, you may want to use both. A juiced up fan clutch makes a far bigger difference than a pusher fan though.

I do have a question for Tools though… I ran into him on the trail a couple of weeks ago and he said something about getting rid of his pusher fan. So has it been decided a pusher is not necessary?

Yep, my first one went on Rob's rig, bought another to put on mine, by then had done a bunch more playing with the clutch and sold my pusher. That said a S/C rig is a whole other kettle of fish to cool and that is just one reason why there will never be a S/C on my rig.

The S/C kit cripples the cooling and adds to the heat load, imho a very bad combination for desert conditions. Our observations include; the fan is moved too close to the rad for good airflow, the included ring fan is a POS, available clutches are too wimpy, etc. The #1 improvement for them that we have seen is, changing to the 3FE fan, it is stock OD (larger), fits the shroud properly, is spaced to move it back from the rad, so nets a nice improvement in airflow. With that fan and clutch tuning, for the first time we have seen S/C rigs have solid temp control in desert conditions. But the system is crippled when compared stock, so needs all of the help it can get.

Are you saying I need more juice in my clutch? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom