80 Series Cooling Issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the advice. I found a 3FE fan at a local scrap yard for $40 bucks. Where do you recommend I get the oil?

Here's where I got mine: Diff Oil - A Main Hobbies

I went through the same process. AC wasn't cooling properly at low speeds. 2 things that really worked were the 12" toyota pusher fan (got out of a Corolla at the junk yard for about 25 bucks) and then changing the Fan Clutch oil to 20k. Like Tools recommended, I would try the 15k and then install a pusher fan if need be.

I have a 14" pusher, I want to say it was about $50 for the fan, relay, and switch. I used the A/C switch.

Original on a '95 is most often an Eaton, if so the hub that mounts to the pulley will be plain steel. They are a good clutch, I would confirm type, fill with 15K and see how that works. Combined with a better fan it should give a nice improvement.

How do I confirm it is an Eaton?

Here's where I got mine: Diff Oil - A Main Hobbies

I went through the same process. AC wasn't cooling properly at low speeds. 2 things that really worked were the 12" toyota pusher fan (got out of a Corolla at the junk yard for about 25 bucks) and then changing the Fan Clutch oil to 20k. Like Tools recommended, I would try the 15k and then install a pusher fan if need be.

What year Corolla did you get the pusher from? Did it bolt in? If your using 20k oil why do you suggest I start with 15k?

What year Corolla did you get the pusher from? Did it bolt in? If your using 20k oil why do you suggest I start with 15k?

Your over thinking it. Any pusher fan will work if it's 12", many 14" will work with some work (I had to trim a bracket and part of the fan housing on mine).

Use at least 20k weight oil. Some people are now playing with 30k. You won't hurt anything by going with a higher weight.

FWIW, I don't play in the desert and where I live temps are generally mild. I went with 6k originally, and am thinking about bumping that up to 15k. So I wouldn't start with 15k since you have the SC and play in the heat.

Your over thinking it. Any pusher fan will work if it's 12", many 14" will work with some work (I had to trim a bracket and part of the fan housing on mine).

Use at least 20k weight oil. Some people are now playing with 30k. You won't hurt anything by going with a higher weight.

FWIW, I don't play in the desert and where I live temps are generally mild. I went with 6k originally, and am thinking about bumping that up to 15k. So I wouldn't start with 15k since you have the SC and play in the heat.

Im confused. So are you saying I should use 15k, or 20k?

There are 3 clutches used in our rigs but the predominate clutches would be an Eaton or the "new blue" oem.

The Eaton has better shearing capabilities thus requiring a lower viscocity oil than the "blue" hub. Most folks use 15k in the Eaton and 15k to 30k in the blue hub based on their locations and usage.

Would love to see a writeup of your rig.

Good Luck,

Buck

Ok, here is where I am at with this; I'm taking Tool's advice and I ordered a new fan for the 3FE from Toyota ($105). I got a buddy heading to a scrap yard today and is going to pick up a 12" pusher fan. The local hobby shop has the 20k oil, I guess I'll start with that. Any other suggestions? Hopefully I can get this put together this weekend so it will be ready for the next, we're heading down to the San Rafeal Swell over Labor Day :)

Ok, here is where I am at with this; I'm taking Tool's advice and I ordered a new fan for the 3FE from Toyota ($105). I got a buddy heading to a scrap yard today and is going to pick up a 12" pusher fan. The local hobby shop has the 20k oil, I guess I'll start with that. Any other suggestions? Hopefully I can get this put together this weekend so it will be ready for the next, we're heading down to the San Rafeal Swell over Labor Day :)

Sounds like you're well on your way.

My only suggestion would be to consider a 14" fan over a 12". The CFM on a 14" is generally significantly higher than a 12" fan. Additionally, you're spreading the air movement over quite a bit larger area. A 12" fan covers 452 square inches, a 14" fan covers 615 square inches.

The only "problem" with a 14" fan is that it's a much tighter fit, maybe requiring you trim the fan shroud or surrounding brackets a bit.

A new aftermarket fan is easier to put in as well than a scrap yard fan. But if you can source or fab up the hangers, then you're good. Mine just mounted straight through the condenser, there are a few mounting points that Mr. T has on there for the JDM fan that some folks have used.

How do I confirm it is an Eaton?

Shoot/post a pic of it, on the rig is fine. The Eaton will have a plain metal hub, it is fastened together with 4, T25 torx screws, but this cant be confirmed until it's off.

As Buckru said, the clutches have differing shearing strengths, so respond differently to fluid viscosity change. I haven't tried 20K in an Eaton, it maybe too strong and slip belts, try and see?

If you are going to 30k why not just skip the clutch all together?

30k allows for some slipping when cold (when you don't want the fan to spin at full speed).

If you are going to 30k why not just skip the clutch all together?

My guess is you have never played with a clutch? I wouldn't use 30K in anything but a new type blue hub, in the other clutches it would likely be much thicker than necessary. In a new blue there isn't that much difference in operation between say 15K and 20K, 30K somewhat stronger.

A clutch is a fluid coupling, can only transfer so much torque across it, so always slips. The viscosity and shearing area determines how much slip/torque transfer. A clutch is thermostat controlled, so the majority of the time is at a lower setting, only full on when needed. If you look at basic fan law, it takes big HP/torque change to make a significant CFM change, so with a low shearing area clutch like the new blue, taking a big swing at viscosity is what is needed to get results.

If you prefer a solid fan, I would not do it with a stock fan, it not designed to turn at full shaft speed. Get a fan correctly designed to do that. A clutch fan will always be more efficient and likely cool better.

Not sure what year Corolla. It is however the same (size and looks) fan that my 99 Lexus 470 uses from the factory. 20k with your SC should be fine. I was thinking living in Utah would be a much cooler climate than Oklahoma that's why the 15K suggestion. Fan bolts in below the horns with no vehicle modifications except for building brackets/mounts. Tip, take the grommets, mounts and wiring connection out of the Corolla. As I recall I modified some of the mounts and used the wire connection. My fan modification looks like it came from the factory (perfect fit and blows lots of air). Good luck on your mod's.

My guess is you have never played with a clutch? I wouldn't use 30K in anything but a new type blue hub, in the other clutches it would likely be much thicker than necessary. In a new blue there isn't that much difference in operation between say 15K and 20K, 30K somewhat stronger.

A clutch is a fluid coupling, can only transfer so much torque across it, so always slips. The viscosity and shearing area determines how much slip/torque transfer. A clutch is thermostat controlled, so the majority of the time is at a lower setting, only full on when needed. If you look at basic fan law, it takes big HP/torque change to make a significant CFM change, so with a low shearing area clutch like the new blue, taking a big swing at viscosity is what is needed to get results.
If you prefer a solid fan, I would not do it with a stock fan, it not designed to turn at full shaft speed. Get a fan correctly designed to do that. A clutch fan will always be more efficient and likely cool better.

No I haven't, just trying to get more info. I have 10k in my old style black clutch, and a new aftermarket radiator, and my rig seems to cool fine... but I do have a stock temp gauge so who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom