80 series 1HDFT diesel conversion and Expedition build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve been wanting to implement an onboard shower for my overland rig since I first saw your setup on Michael’s Overland Bound YouTube channel. I’m getting closer to finalizing my setup but I wanted to get your thought on a couple of things.

I only plan to use the setup for a shower So I’m wondering if two tanks are necessary. I know you use yours for a sink as well so having a choice between hot and cold tanks makes sense. Is there some added functionality that I’m not taking into account? Do you use the cold water tank to mix with the hot water to regulate the temperature or is it an either/or situation? I was thinking that I could use the heater controls to regulate temperatures somewhat.

I’ll have an onboard air system with a tank so I can use that to pressurize the tank but I was considering using an electric pump instead. Any thoughts on that approach?

Thanks for your feedback.

I’ve been wanting to implement an onboard shower for my overland rig since I first saw your setup on Michael’s Overland Bound YouTube channel. I’m getting closer to finalizing my setup but I wanted to get your thought on a couple of things.

I only plan to use the setup for a shower So I’m wondering if two tanks are necessary. I know you use yours for a sink as well so having a choice between hot and cold tanks makes sense. Is there some added functionality that I’m not taking into account? Do you use the cold water tank to mix with the hot water to regulate the temperature or is it an either/or situation? I was thinking that I could use the heater controls to regulate temperatures somewhat.

I’ll have an onboard air system with a tank so I can use that to pressurize the tank but I was considering using an electric pump instead. Any thoughts on that approach?

Thanks for your feedback.
The reason for two water tanks is that we can heat the water to a high temperature, so we can have showers long after the engine is shot down (it takes longer to cool down). So we set up the temperature originally to 140F because of the PVC limit, but now we may set it hotter with the stainless tanks. I've used this thermostat, and extended the sensor wires to the copper pipe coming out of the tank to the circulating pump. It is nice to have a mixer so you regulate for a fixed temperature as the hot water cools down in time - say an hour after you get to camp. Besides my wife and I use different temperatures... :)

The reason we used the compressed air, is because it's there. I'm for keeping systems to minimal, and adding another pump with all the wiring did not make sense. The compressed air only required 1/4" tube to run along the frame to the rear with a quick disconnect.

Have you seen my detailed blog?

I wanted to add some details on the structure in the back. Cabinets frames were welded 1/2" steel square tubing. They were covered with 18 gage steel plates on the fixed panes and .1" 6061T6 aluminum panels on all the doors/drawers panels. Drawers were aluminum trays used at the fight attendant cart with soft close glides. The fridge is built in with a detached compressor tucked in the wheel well. The cabinets are GR01 navy gray powder coated, and bolted to the floor where the seats were attached. The galley on the passenger side is the heaviest with the fridge, but I can still lift it myself.

Since real estate is so expensive in the truck, I chose 1/2" tubing. Using 8020 amount to loosing 2" of space if you have 4 bars going front to back. Here are a few photos of the process...

IMG_8987.JPG
IMG_9094.JPG
IMG_9113.jpg
IMG_9220.JPG
IMG_9283.JPG

Last edited:
The reason for two water tanks is that we can heat the water to a high temperature, so we can have showers long after the engine is shot down (it takes longer to cool down). So we set up the temperature originally to 140F because of the PVC limit, but now we may set it hotter with the stainless tanks. I've used this thermostat, and extended the sensor wires to the copper pipe coming out of the tank to the circulating pump. It is nice to have a mixer so you regulate for a fixed temperature as the hot water cools down in time - say an hour after you get to camp. Besides my wife and I use different temperatures... :)

The reason we used the compressed air, is because it's there. I'm for keeping systems to minimal, and adding another pump with all the wiring did not make sense. The compressed air only required 1/4" tube to run along the frame to the rear with a quick disconnect.

Have you seen my detailed blog?
What are the dimensions of the Bullfinch shower cover when closed?

Just spent the weekend in Death Valley. We cut from Trona Pinnacles To Goler wash and Mengel Pass. Effort of Overland Bound to block the Racetrack from people to drive over it.

IMG_7324.JPG
IMG_7359.JPG
IMG_7369.JPG
IMG_7386.JPG

Another work day with NPS and Overland Bound in Death Valley.

We also rescued a 30 years old tortoise from the highway before being run over. They are in danger and the proper way to remove them, is slowly lift them and walk slowly in the direction they were heading and put them back on the ground carefully a few yards from the road. We saved a life!!!

Love the sunsets and sunrises in the Desert.

IMG_7651.JPG
IMG_7592.JPG

Just had the original steering wheel redone by RedLine Goods. I think they have done an amazing job for a very reasonable price.

IMG_9128.jpg
IMG_9143.jpg
IMG_9144.jpg

Just a 'small' upgrade. A rebuilt 105 steering box (by RedHead Steering) and ICON suspension to replace the OME after 80 K miles.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG

Last edited:
I’ll be working on my bed design this summer. Your build along with Eric enjoys Earth from YouTube serve as my main inspiration.

Now that you’ve lived with the layout for awhile, how has it been working out?

Is there anything you’d change?

I’ll be working on my bed design this summer. Your build along with Eric enjoys Earth from YouTube serve as my main inspiration.

Now that you’ve lived with the layout for awhile, how has it been working out?

Is there anything you’d change?
Hey,
After finishing the diesel conversion we did 5k miles to make sure the mechanics are working. Then built the habitat. We did not want to build a ‘storage’ unit like most builds. The day I finished it we drove to AK. Lived in the rig for 30 days (9000 miles) with an active ׳upgrade ‘ list. It took about a year to figure out what we like to improve and a bit more to do it. It is PERFECT for us as 2 people traveling.

A more detailed blog on the build was posted here and a video.

My current build is the troopy. Blog on this forum.

Just finished a 24 days/5700 miles trip including 2700 miles of the Continental Divide trail from Mexico border to Canada border - averaging 21 mpg including off road. Over 1000 miles in low range including some passes in Colorado Rockies. Trip included a few rigs with an AMAZING crew. Experience that will last a life time.

Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.25.16 AM.png
IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
71375388788__C9FA0434-E5A3-4DBC-A3C2-41E784A22A09.JPG
IMG_5054.jpg

Ofer-- I love your 80, but I have to ask --- Do you really have room to sleep two people on that platform you have? I am afraid that after 30 years of marriage my wife would demand more "distance" than your build provides :)

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom