SOLD 8/85 produced Original Paint FJ60 (CO/TX) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(255, 174, 0)
Those that know me will say I never sell anything :). I’ve collected a few cruisers over the years along with a modest level of parts. Primarily focused on 60’s, but have a few 40 series trucks and some 80’s. Solid axle is my preference (Solid Axle Summit…look it up if you’re not aware of it). My long-term goal when finished working for someone else in the professional world is to turn my historically not for profit business (Old Dog Cruisers) into a profit center doing repairs, upgrades and builds. I have some decent experience over the years and will continue honing my skills in preparation for retirement life doing the above described. So, to the point of this ad…I recently purchased a very clean original unmolested 4/85 built 60 which is the same color as this one. Since I’ve collected a few more cruisers than any sane person should have and this is basically a duplicate of what we already have, I’ve committed to selling one of them. So, I’m putting the one I’ve had the last 4-5 years on the market to see if there is any interest. If it does not sell by the time I finish baselining the recently purchased one then both will be for sale until one goes. The August/85 model listed in this post was acquired from the second owner who bought it from the original owner 12 years prior. The truck was originally purchased from a San Antonio dealer (a Gulf States truck) and resided on a ranch in Boerne TX. Somewhere around 2000, the 2nd owner was doing some work on this ranch befriending the original owner and eventually taking ownership of the vehicle. This was a much younger guy who’s in the videography business and traveled all over the country in this cruiser doing his work. After about 11 years and the odometer approaching the 340K mark, the RMS started to pour vs. just dripping oil. The PO parked it under his carport for a year before I started noticing it as I drove by his house a few times. Having never done this…one day I rang his doorbell out of curiosity and struck up a conversation. Like most all cruiser folks, this turned into a 2+ hour conversation learning of his passion for the truck along with his experiences over the last 12 years. Unfortunately for him, he could not afford to have a shop fix this along with a much needed clutch etc. By the end of the conversation he understood my love for these trucks and my future business model as well. I left there offering to assist him getting this truck back on the road. Told him to buy a clutch, oil pan gasket & RMS (and where to source them). Then we tentatively scheduled a date 60ish days out and I would help him do the job in my barn (see the Captclose thread “What’s going on in Jimmy’s Barn @CaptClose ). Fast forward 60 days and the PO calls me to share that he needs to move this truck to a new owner raising funds for personal use. I offered to assist him with marketing the truck through MUD as well as local outlets to maximize his return. By the end of the conversation he simply wanted me to own the truck knowing I would care for it the way he would want it to be done. His comment was “I know you are not looking to add more trucks to your inventory, but make me an offer”. I was clear that he could double his $ letting me assist him in selling the truck at a fair market value but he wanted me to have it. In the end I bumped up my offer significantly vs. what I would normally have paid. From that point, I saw the opportunity to baseline this for my youngest son as he was turning 16 in a few months. The motor still had decent compression in the 115-125 range. I fixed the rear main seal and all new gaskets/seals on the motor and she ran great. Unfortunately, the motor was just plain tired and had severe blow by resulting in an air filter full of oil. Fortunately, I had a 2F that my oldest son and I rebuilt a few years prior that we pulled from his truck to put in a 12HT. We estimated this motor had 30K on it, so in it went. Since then it’s run great and provided my youngest good transportation throughout HS. My wife has since taken the truck over as a second vehicle and the mileage is probably closer to 50K on the 2F. This truck is a TX truck all its life and is absolutely cancer free. You’ll see from the pictures the rust spots that have occurred over its life. To be clear, by cancer free I mean this truck has no rust in the usual spots when living above the Mason Dixon line. This would be in the rockers, quarters, rear tailgate, roof seams etc. The two areas of rust are one spot behind the rear mud flap on the drivers side. I discovered this when straightening out a small dent in the lower quarter. Identified the bubble (about the size of a dime), ground it out to a small hole, treated it and plugged it with a grommet. This and the next rust issue are due to the weep holes in the bottom of the rear quarters being clogged as a result of it being a ranch truck with the original owner. The next rust issue was on the passenger side top edge (crown, not the gutter) of the roof. For those that are not aware, even southern trucks can rust here as a result of condensation. Common for the filler neck gasket to dry out/crack and then allowing rain water to pass into the right rear quarter. Again, being a ranch truck, the factory drain holes (two in the pinch weld) were clogged causing moisture to accumulate in the bottom of the quarter. As a result, in a semi-humid environment, condensation will occur at back right underside corner of the roof via the D-pillar. Hence the two rust bubbles at the crown section of the roof. Pic will be provided of spot where the PO kept duct tape over one of the spots. Like the spot behind the mud flap, I cut out the bubble to solid metal, treated the area, then put in a temp patch. For this one I shaped 16G metal (with help from Casey @POTATO LAUNCHER ), applied seam sealer and riveted the patches over the two holes. Also, both quarters are clean and the factory drain holes are open as should be. I do paint my own vehicles (see my “60 Frankenstein Build”) and planned to patch these prior to paint. But since this is an original paint/patina cruiser, I planned to leave it as is for some while. The truck is in exceptional mechanical condition and will go anywhere. I drove it from central TX to our place in Fort Collins last February without any issues. If you’ve read this far (apologize for the long-winded post), then I know you can appreciate a solid truck and understand I’m fairly qualified at assessing them. I’m not one to talk about my work, but feel it’s necessary to share as I would want to know the same being a prospective buyer. So on with the list of the “good and bad”.

The Good:

1. All original body and paint. Truck is incredibly straight and cancer free. Frame is solid but has typical TX surface rust.
2. Gutters recently redone. Chipped out and wire wheeled to clean metal then applied new seam sealer. Common job that should be done to any 60 when the original seam sealer is dried, cracking and peeling. There’s 4 pieces of metal that come together at this juncture and seam sealer prevents moisture from traveling into the seams and down the pillars causing cancer.
3. Rebuilt 2F (I did the rebuild using a local machine shop that knows 2F’s) with 50k at the most.
4. Front knuckles and hubs rebuilt (common but expensive maintenance)
5. Tie rod ends changed out with Cruiser Outfitters product
6. Steering Box resealed (by me)
7. All new brakes and master
8. Low mileage clutch. Replaced when I did the RMS (rear main seal)
9. De-Smogged with the correct pulley system.
10. No cracks in the windshield (High quality PPG front windshield)
11. Excellent factory bumpers
12. All mud flaps in good shape
13. Very nice Cooper MT’s with low miles (31’s)
14. AC converted to 134
15. 4Runner wiper arm upgrade
16. OME lift (yes you can put 33’s on this truck)
17. Replaced front corner lights (driving lights on the fenders) with new OEM’s from Toyota
18. Headliner is in great shape
19. Seats and door panels are in really good shape
20. Bluetooth radio with sony 5 ¼’s in the doors. 6X9 Alpines cut into the side of the console, but never hooked then up. This is how the console came in a parts truck I have
21. Rear cargo carpet in excellent shape as well as the cargo panels
22. Tool bag/jack under the drivers seat
23. Clean fuel tank as this one had the factory recall done
24. Paint…This is in the eye of the beholder as some like/appreciate the patina and the fact nothing is possibly hiding under a repaint.

The not so good:
1. Dent in lower drivers rear quarter…I have not taken my dolly/hammer to it, but can be smoothed out to accept the floating/paint stage with little effort.
2. Front passenger fender…There was a dent between the front lip of the wheel arch and the blinker. I removed the fender and used my body tools to straighten this out so all that is needed is floating/sanding with body filler and on to paint (if wanted).
3. If going to paint stage, need to replace metal in the above-mentioned locations. Great thing is I’ve already supplied and shaped the metal (16g) which is currently being used as a patch. All that is needed is a final shaping and welding it in for the paint process (easy for any body shop to do).
4. Front valence…my youngest hit a deer in our neighborhood and it broke the grill and deformed the valence a bit. I pulled a new/used grill from my inventory and used body tools to straighten out the valence. Like the front fender, up close you can see where I worked the metal. Will require a thin level of float material prior to shooting paint.
5. Center bezel…the bottom right corner broke off. I believe I have the piece in the console. You can now buy an aluminum aftermarket one from J with Trail Tailor
6. Minor drips from areas of the 2F. Would not call these leaks and know a dry 2F is a bit of a unicorn.
7. Odometer has 360 on the clock. Not an issue as all mechanicals have been verified and rebuilt/replaced if needed. I’m actually proud to have such a high # on a 60 that drives this well.
8. Some of the window felts are deformed from age. Not affecting functionability.
9. Cracked dash. Has cap from CCOT
10. Has all bumper end caps. In OK shape with a few cracks and marks. Back left one has a crease in it.
11. Rear defroster does not work
12. Rear license bezel has a small hole in the top center. Can still source the 24v version (change bulb to 12V) or a good used one

This is a very nice truck that can continue as is or be turned into a “creampuff” (nickname for a good friends previous 60 @CaptClose ) with new paint. It’s currently at my place in CO and I’m more than glad to bring it back to my place in TX if anyone is interested in it. I have a ton of pictures and will list them in the next several posts. If there’s any additional pics you would like to see, feel free to shoot me a message or call/text and I’ll post them up. My cell is 713-805-3962.

Another note, I’ve sold two cruisers over the years. One went to my brother and one to my son’s best friend. The unspoken value in their purchases is the fact I will always be a resource to them and help with any future repairs down the road. The buyer of this truck will get the same treatment. Also, if someone prefers a 5-speed, I can upgrade this truck for an agreed upon price (I have a few used ones in my barn).

In summary, this truck has 360K on the odometer. The motor is rebuilt with less than 50K on it. All mechanicals have been inspected and replaced/rebuilt if needed. Cosmetically this is a survivor with the typical TX patina, but a very straight non-cancerous body (other than the rust spots mentioned above). The color is Copper (2-stage metallic). One of the best ways to buy a cruiser is to enjoy the cross country trip home so you can familiarize yourself with your new investment while seeing the beautiful country side. This truck is ready and I’m willing (if sold for asking price) to pay for your one way plane ticket (in the lower 48) so you can drive it home. On the flip side, if you pay for my one way ticket home, I’ll drive it to you if sold at asking price. Asking price is $15,900 OBO

Thank you,
Jimmy

Would be great to catch up in person. I’ll be back in Fort Collins around the 20th of this month. I believe my cell is in this thread. If not, I can PM it to you.

Getting the rear driveshaft rebuilt. Did not like how the u-joint felt so there won’t be any questions going forward.

Ok. So it’s back together (less the rear driveshaft) so here’s how she sits. I’ll post as many pics as I can. Feel free to ask for any shots I may not have covered. Thanks. Jimmy

Drive shaft should be in by Friday.
2536BB63-67D3-4522-846A-E32C5B9EF14B.jpeg
8E3970C2-3F7A-4D38-8A1B-CF2F85E47A82.jpeg
48BE8BA3-D267-448F-B36E-0B7BD6D3EE60.jpeg
76F21806-634D-44C2-8F7B-8DD2DFEE1578.jpeg

Random question.......what alternator does it have in it, as it is obviously not stock? Was it hard to modify the wiring, etc?

Can’t recall. Was some higher amperage alternator I did years ago that if I recalled correctly required some type of GM connector. I have a few rebuilt/powder coated OEM ones in the barn that I’d put on If requested. There are some threads on here around this upgrade. I did it back around the 2014 timeframe

Hey Jimmy. Enjoyed reading about the truck's evolution. Is it currently sitting in CO or TX? Assumed CO but your recent pictures look more hill country than Rockies. Thanks!

Hello. It’s now at my place in central TX. Apologize about that. Should have up updated this in the thread. I’m heading back to CO around the 20th of this month and will be at the solid axle summit the first week in August. Probably won’t be back in TX until the middle of August. Busy getting my main truck ready for the summit :).
1671F37E-9551-4124-BD31-1569B8187C82.jpeg

And should mention that I will put the 60 on the lift for anyone local that wants to look it over. Plus some cold Modelo for those that may have an interest :)

SOLD...deposit has been given. Final transaction should occur in the next few days. Really excited to have a new 60 owner @bmeazell join the group. He has had his 80 since 2002 so he’s expanding his interest in the cruiser world :). Thanks again to everyone for all this positive comments and support. Jimmy

SOLD...deposit has been given. Final transaction should occur in the next few days. Really excited to have a new 60 owner @bmeazell join the group. He has had his 80 since 2002 so he’s expanding his interest in the cruiser world :). Thanks again to everyone for all this positive comments and support. Jimmy

Ahh well, I guess I can stop mulling this one over. Thanks again for talking to me last weekend about it. And, congrats!

Ahh well, I guess I can stop mulling this one over. Thanks again for talking to me last weekend about it. And, congrats!
Absolutely Brian. Was great talking with you as well. Good luck in your search as there seem to be many good 60’s For sale at this time. Also, always happy to help you with the 5-speed conversion should you go down that path. Thanks. Jimmy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom