7th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 26-30 2017* Silverton·CO·USA·EARTH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

56 PAGES! AND THE EVENT HASN'T STARTED YET!?

Wow, I need to get off my keester and attend this event already... is it sold out? HAHA

56 PAGES! AND THE EVENT HASN'T STARTED YET!?

Wow, I need to get off my keester and attend this event already... is it sold out? HAHA
This guy.... :moon:

Never would have known the LC was such a great highway cruiser loaded down w 33's - another 400 miles of yellow brick road.

Where's Toto?
I hate driving through Kansas. Very dull and very hot when we came through there. My AC wasn't working very well and would shut off on my F350 at the worst times. My outside temperature gauge reported 100F at one point. We had to roll the windows down one time when the AC cut off. Found out on the way back that it was a vacuum leak. I found the errant vacuum hose and plugged it back in. Problem solved.

Soooo a good thing I am bringing my Tred XDs?!? (recovery boards like maxtrax) Curious to know what the mud out there is like, slick, sticky, etc

Are we talkin afternoon thunderstorms that show up for an hour then leave, or hours of rain?

Pretty much. They roll in and out. Cool it down quite a bit too. Trails will be fine even with tons of rain. It doesn't get too muddy.

Almost to Santa Fe, our destination for the evening. Future note for long road trips: make sure your tire balance is perfect or you're in for a rough ride.

Sugarbush campgrounds 20mins outside of Salida on 50 is amazing. Offered a 10% discount to all HIH participants coming or going. Clean, shaded, babeling brook runs through the park, clean showers and restrooms. On to the IBar Ranch outside of gunnison in the morning. Kid friendly folk music venu in a barn that allows camping on site. I love this state. See you folks Wednesday!

Soooo a good thing I am bringing my Tred XDs?!? (recovery boards like maxtrax) Curious to know what the mud out there is like, slick, sticky, etc

Are we talkin afternoon thunderstorms that show up for an hour then leave, or hours of rain?

Most of the trails we will be on are primarily rocks and gravel. There are some that will have some mud and my experience with them has been slick surfaces. There really won't be any mud bog situations except maybe in camp from all of us driving our cruisers on the grass/dirt.

Typical setup for the rain this time of year is afternoon showers for a few hours and then they usually die off ~6. But that's the typical monsoonal pattern. If some kind of front comes in, they it could be much more extended raining.

I'm not kidding when I say that I got a little emotional when we were around the Lake Haviland area. I love this part of the country and it got to me....but enough about that....how about some truck stuff or football...or whatever manly thing.

Actually I need some advice on fishing. We didn't catch anything today at Haviland. We learned that Molas and Haviland do not have regulations on bait. My question for you local guys is if you could use anything to guarantee bites and catching some fish, what would you use? My boys have to catch something or they are going to revolt.

I love that Eventbrite sent me a reminder....LOL

IMG_0985.PNG

I hate driving through Kansas. Very dull and very hot when we came through there. My AC wasn't working very well and would shut off on my F350 at the worst times. My outside temperature gauge reported 100F at one point. We had to roll the windows down one time when the AC cut off. Found out on the way back that it was a vacuum leak. I found the errant vacuum hose and plugged it back in. Problem solved.

You are spot on - never thought we'd get to the end of the yellow brick road, but we just rolled into Limon, CO and will settle here for the night. Since my kiddo was such a trooper with zero complaints I splurged on the comfort inn (trying to avoid hotels). It was 100 deg F most of the entire way through Kansas - thankfully my AC was blowing ice cold.

550 miles in, stretching our legs at a rest area outside Columbia MO. The kids may revolt soon.

We took the same track as you - not sure how far you're going today, but we're in Limon. Left St. Louis, MO at 6am this morning - 750 miles later, we're in CO! Heading to Ouray 4J++ tomorrow - look forward to meeting those of you also staying there!

A helpful hint. Avoid Highway 50 between the 149 bridge and Montrose. Sat in road construction for over an hour today!
IMAG1826.jpg

A helpful hint. Avoid Highway 50 between the 149 bridge and Montrose. Sat in road construction for over an hour today!
View attachment 1503414

Hmm given this construction, are we better off heading to Denver over I-70 to Grand Junction then down 550 to Ouray? Any local help much appreciated!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom