7th Annual 100s in the Hills *July 26-30 2017* Silverton·CO·USA·EARTH (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow pictures look amazing, and the adventure looks like a hell of a trip too.

Can a stock 100 with 33" tires do the black bear pass, it looks very intimidating, esp the switchbacks.

I would so do this if i didn't leave 2000 miles from colorado :(

A bone stock Hundy can make it down BBP easily. Low range is all that's really needed. A good spotter can get pretty much anyone down. Even my 16 year old daughter drove it. Funny, kids listen to spotters better than a lot of adults do.

Can a stock 100 with 33" tires do the black bear pass, it looks very intimidating, esp the switchbacks.

The exposure is a little scary and it will test your nerves. But it can be driven easily with a stock 100. I've done it in a stock FJ60 and my current stock UZJ100 (both with BFG All-Terrain tires). Ask for help and trust your spotter (if he/she is experienced). I personally witnessed the aforementioned 16-year old doing it a couple years ago.

The exposure is a little scary and it will test your nerves. But it can be driven easily with a stock 100. I've done it in a stock FJ60 and my current stock UZJ100 (both with BFG All-Terrain tires). Ask for help and trust your spotter (if he/she is experienced). I personally witnessed the aforementioned 16-year old doing it a couple years ago.

That's bold! Not sure how it is in person, but youtube videos look scary, and the images of cars/truck rolled over and squished doesn't exactly make it any better. It's not fair that we have nothing closely related to that here in DC, just a bunch of traffic and homeless people pissing in trashcans, not exactly scenic.

I just mapped it :( 2100 miles at 13mpg = 161 gallons x $3 = $484 in gas alone. Then have to stop by walmart to get adult diapers before hitting the trail, cost adds up.

33377372654_e772cee0ee_b.jpg

The southern route would be the most scenic I would expect. Well, maybe not between OKC and Albuquerque unless you like WIDE open spaces and blue skies. But the desert landscape all through NM is hard to beat compared to hundreds of miles of Great Plains wheat and corn fields.

Last edited:
It's not fair that we have nothing closely related to that here in DC, just a bunch of traffic and homeless people pissing in trashcans, not exactly scenic.

I just mapped it :( 2100 miles at 13mpg = 161 gallons x $3 = $484 in gas alone. Then have to stop by walmart to get adult diapers before hitting the trail, cost adds up.

33377372654_e772cee0ee_b.jpg

Getting the opportunity to see some of the most beautiful parts of our great country along the way, during HIH, and on the way back.... = PRICELESS!

Wish I could get out there this year.....

That's bold! Not sure how it is in person, but youtube videos look scary, and the images of cars/truck rolled over and squished doesn't exactly make it any better. It's not fair that we have nothing closely related to that here in DC, just a bunch of traffic and homeless people pissing in trashcans, not exactly scenic.

If you really want to do Black Bear Pass and have not signed up for HIH or are indefinitely waitlisted like myself, I welcome you to join me in the San Juans separately from HIH. I have 13 years of experience driving those roads and am more than willing to guide new guys down the trails :)

If you really want to do Black Bear Pass and have not signed up for HIH or are indefinitely waitlisted like myself, I welcome you to join me in the San Juans separately from HIH. I have 13 years of experience driving those roads and am more than willing to guide new guys down the trails :)
I already have scheduled time off for July 7-14 and July 26 - August 1st. I am on the waitlist now and if I get a spot, I'll take The 26th through The 1st off. If not, I'll take the 7th through the 14th off. I plan to run some easy trails from Well's book but it would be great to run some trails with more experienced drivers. Maybe we can set something up for the the 7th through the 14th if you are around. My main goal for HIH7 was to run some trails and learn. It's best not to go alone if you are inexperienced like me.

Awfully nice of you mate, i definitely would take you up on that offer if i can find the time. I just got my LC a couple months ago and someone just backed into it recently, still trying to put everything back together and put new tires on. Generally when is the best time to do black bear pass, on one video on youtube, this guy in a jeep did the whole trail and narrated it, he came across a flock of sheep and a sheep dog and it just looks like something from a movie. Grass and flowers were in full bloom too, just beautiful and breathtaking backdrop.

I already have scheduled time off for July 7-14 and July 26 - August 1st. I am on the waitlist now and if I get a spot, I'll take The 26th through The 1st off. If not, I'll take the 7th through the 14th off. I plan to run some easy trails from Well's book but it would be great to run some trails with more experienced drivers. Maybe we can set something up for the the 7th through the 14th if you are around. My main goal for HIH7 was to run some trails and learn. It's best not to go alone if you are inexperienced like me.
I live in Grand Junction and am in the San Juans most every weekend in the summer. Hit me up if you want to do some trails when in town. I grew up in Lexington, would be nice to talk to another Kentucky boy! Bring me some Gold Star Chili!! Lol

Awfully nice of you mate, i definitely would take you up on that offer if i can find the time. I just got my LC a couple months ago and someone just backed into it recently, still trying to put everything back together and put new tires on. Generally when is the best time to do black bear pass, on one video on youtube, this guy in a jeep did the whole trail and narrated it, he came across a flock of sheep and a sheep dog and it just looks like something from a movie. Grass and flowers were in full bloom too, just beautiful and breathtaking backdrop.[/QUOTE
Beginning of July if it's open. Mid to end of July is good too. Flowers in bloom near opening date. It is like a movie...

Too many pages to read through to find this answer. Will there be electrical power available at camp?

I live in Grand Junction and am in the San Juans most every weekend in the summer. Hit me up if you want to do some trails when in town. I grew up in Lexington, would be nice to talk to another Kentucky boy! Bring me some Gold Star Chili!! Lol
Will do!

Went down Black Bear last year in my stock LC (sans running boards) with 33" Michelin AT2's (aired down to ~17 lbs). The only problem I had was that I was so focused on following the path of the truck in front of me (and Stan's hand signals), I had no time to enjoy the scenery!

Helps to have a copilot/spotter who can take photos and video.

Good times. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Is it July 26 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom