79 FJ40 Seat Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello again, I am to the point of getting newer matching seats for my 79 FJ40 and looking for suggestions. Yes I know the search is available and I've used it but I am looking for a front set with a fold and tumble rear seat and wondered what has worked with a 79 body. Which seats work ( I prefer leather ) and heated would be really cool. Has anyone tried a Honda Element or Jeep Wrangler? Also, as I attempt to mimick many of the Icon's cool things, I need the Tuffy console to fit also. I do have my original front seats which need recovered but want the forward facing rear seat instead of my jump seats. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have any suggestions, but I will be interested in people's options.

Not leather but I replaced my Recaro racing seats with Honda City Front seats and an LC Prado fold and tumble rea seat. They are close to matching but..... You can get some LC seats I think 70 series and up in leather here not sure about the U.S. but no need for heating here lol.
101_7162.jpg

If you are going to THROW away your old seats, I will take them!! Jeep seats would be a good bet, the rear fold and tumble will fit fine and match the front I will need seats for my 1980 when we get to it, jeep will most likely be my top search, but factory would be my first choice, but they are crazy expensive even used and warn out.

The PO installed jeep cherokee seats in mine... I don't hate them, but I just wished they fit better... He set them on the outer seat mounts and welded a piece of angle iron to the middle seat mounts and then drilled a hole for the jeep seats into the angle iron... They aren't leather, and haven't really held up to the weather, but they aren't rotted and a seat cover will fit..... I read somewhere on here that 60 series seats fit the original mounts with no modification... But I have not measured

I have first gen MR2 seats in mine. I adapted the frames to the stock sliders so I can still slide them. Rear seat is a TJ fold and tumble.

Celica, MR2, Prelude, Civic, BMW, and Volvo seats are all pretty easy swaps ... you need a seat with a slim mount (mount to top of seat bottom) or else you are in the steering wheel. You can search and find pics of any of those, here are some '94 Celica in my '76 (when I went stock I gave them to a buddy with a '79 and they fit there too) -

CelicaSeats.jpg

I went back to stock with MetricTLC custom coral covers in mine, be ware that high bolsters make it a pain to get in and out (but hold you well off road):

1000000440.jpg

Tucker

I put BMW seats in mine. Black leather. I used the stock mount on the passenger side and welded up a small frame to hold the seat.

On the drivers side I used the suspension base out of a 70 series.

Overall they are pretty good but you will need to work to get them low enough. (Mine are still a bit higher then I'd like so I may have to modify the seat sliders)

Celica, MR2, Prelude, Civic, BMW, and Volvo seats are all pretty easy swaps ... you need a seat with a slim mount (mount to top of seat bottom) or else you are in the steering wheel. You can search and find pics of any of those, here are some '94 Celica in my '76 (when I went stock I gave them to a buddy with a '79 and they fit there too) -

CelicaSeats.jpg

I went back to stock with MetricTLC custom coral covers in mine, be ware that high bolsters make it a pain to get in and out (but hold you well off road):

1000000440.jpg

Tucker
Did you already have the originals to re-cover? I can NOT find a set of original seats (in any condition) for my ‘78.

I installed black leather seats from a Audi A4, only required slight bracket mods

I installed black leather seats from a Audi A4, only required slight bracket mods
What year Audi? I was just in the scrap yard and they had a decent set in a 2002... might go this route. Thanks

Toyota Solara seats into my '75. Leather, electric adjust. I like 'em!

The mods were very simple for the 40 series with the fuel tank under chassis.
I dont know how they would fit in a pre 1979 40 series.
Some angle iron, a welder, a grinder and drill machine is all thats needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom