79-83 heater valve, discontiuen, is there one from another model that works? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
I'm hunting for a new heater valve, 79-83 pickup. A guy was looking for one on facebook, and it got me curious.. so I started digging

87240-89111
Valve Assy, Heater Water

full diagram part circled.png

I got onefor my FJ40, and at the time, they had a ford part you could easily swap in for alot cheaper.

I also know from looking on ebay there are alot of toyota valves that are pretty similar.
example this vale looks very close, except the bracket is different. it fits the 2nd gen pickup ln61.

https://www.ebay.com/p/659385849

zSIMILAR VALVE 8724089115 Genuine Toyota Valve ASSY Heater Water 87240-89115.jpg

Has anyone fit a differnt valve in place, or even better is there a standard one to swap in like on the fj40?

Thanks,

Eric-

I wonder if it would be possible to retrofit the later valve that goes right to left. This one is from a 1990-95 pickup/4R.

Heater valve_sm.jpg

If the straight through valve will work you could also install a servo-valve from Vintage Air. 50507-VUA. It includes the valve, control knob, and the controller. This is what I ended up with in my 2FE/FJ40. I'm also considering it for my 3RZ install even though I've already harvested the valve shown.

Vintage Air.jpg

This is only one part of the puzzle.

The valve lever can get rusty and hard to pivot, the cable can corrode in the guide tube and get hard to push/pull, the control lever in the cab can corrode and get hard to pivot, then the operator gets impatient and forces the lever breaking the cable (solid metal wire) just before it enters the tube in the cab (blue tube in picture)
IMG_6277.JPG

The truck I worked on last year had a donor cab with a spare controller and both had the cable/wire broken at the exact same location. Those control cables are not apparently available anymore so I had to "borrow" a longer wire from another tube and rebend it after cleaning the control mechanism and lubing up the wires/tubes.

CATG0310.JPG

The first one that @pappy posted there is similar to the one in the fzj80 and the sequoia although i would have to double check to see if they can be adjusted to clock the right direction

Has anyone found a workable replacement? I have a leaky one that needs replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom