'78 40 Clutch Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to do a clutch replacement without removing the tunnel cover?
(A friend had bed liner sprayed on the interior of his rig with the cover installed. Removing it will involve a lot of tedious razor trimming around the bolts/washers and the cover itself.)

I was thinking the trans top plate could be loosened from under the vehicle and lifted up high enough to remove the transmission.

Is it possible to do a clutch replacement without removing the tunnel cover?

Possible? Sure, almost anything is possible.
Would you want to? I wouldn't.

Removing the tunnel cover allows use of a cherrypicker from the topside instead of a transmission jack from the bottom.
Also, you don't need to remove the trans top plate, just remove the shift levers. This would be very difficult without the tunnel cover removed.

Yeah no problem.
I've never removed the hump.

20171217_130820.jpg

You can remove the rear engine mounts to lower the back of the engine to allow a little more room for the transmission to clear the tunnel cover.

You can remove the rear engine mounts to lower the back of the engine to allow a little more room for the transmission to clear the tunnel cover.
^^^^^^^
I just did mine. I was able to do it without removing tunnel ONLY because the PO had cut the tunnel and pulled back the metal so the shift lever base plate could slide aft. Either lower the rear of engine or remove the tunnel. Next time I’m going to remove the tunnel. It makes the process much easier.

It IS easier to get the transmission out without the tunnel cover in place. Most folks just don't like removing the seat(s), the heater, the gas tank, yada, yada, yada,.... to get to it. :worms:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom