'77 FJ40 Smog Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the two fan belts on my truck a few months ago and in the process managed to misalign the smog pump pulley, causing a horrible screeching sound, and a I believe bearing damage. After spending the better part of a day trying to figure out how I had managed to misalign the pump with little luck, I decided to disconnect the pump by removing its belt.

Now I'm concerned that this will cause long term problems? Should I go through the hassle of attempting to rebuild the pump? Or just find a replacement from Napa, etc?

With all the rest of the emissions control equipment in place, is the lack of the air pump going to cause me long term damage?

I'd ultimately like the keep the truck as stock as possible, so will likely go about rebuilding the pump at some point, but want to know whether it should be sooner rather than later.

Thanks.

With the pump inoperable, the air rail usually rusts out quickly. The weak spot in these pumps is the Torrington bearing at the rear of the pump. Mine shucked a roller freezing the pump up when I was off road, so I popped the roller out, reassembled it and it worked fine for another 10 years at least with one less roller.
I think I have a spare, so if you need one PM me.

Thanks for the info, Pinhead.

I'll be away for the holidays, but will plan to pull it apart when I get back.

Thanks for the offer as well.

Don't try to rebuild it, but DO NOT TOSS IT OUT. Napa may not have it in stock but, they will tell you where to get one if you ask properly. The NAPA distribution center in Fontana directed me to an auto parts distributor in South El Monte. Don't recall the name off the top, but they were open on Saturday and my price was about $60.00. If you call, ask for Romeo. (951) 361-0137

I did do a rebuild on the OEM that came with my 77 when I bought it, an over used and abused truck, but the vanes are pretty much not replace-able as are other parts. There are posts on MUD and other places that testify to the defects of these replacement pumps and my answer to that is to carry a spare belt to fit without the pump, if you have power steering, or not, in the event that the air pump dumps on you while you are somewhere in the dust.

Thanks for the tips Coastline. Those are my old old stomping grounds. Grew up in Pasadena, Pomona and Upland...though it has been SOME time. Attended many a Quakes game in my younger years.

I realize the rarity of OEM pumps and would really like to get this one back to operational rather than sticking in a blue NAPA replacement. I'll be giving the rebuild a try, but will give your distributor a call if it comes to it.

No p/s or anything else running off that belt line, so luckily no need to reroute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom