‘75 Fj40 front brake soft line sanity check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi 40 series family! We are in the middle of redoing the entire brake system on my ‘75 40. Have all new soft and hard lines going in for the front disc brakes and rear drums. Also swapping out the suspension, replacing an old sagging 2.5 inch lift with a brand new 2.5 inch lift. The new soft brake lines are OEM from Toyota and they matched the length of the old crusty ones we pulled off. My question is how much slack is there supposed to be in those soft lines? There doesn’t appear to be much. The photos show the soft lines with the axle nearly completely lowered without the tire on.
81C368FF-7055-4A17-AB38-F33891362AEF.jpeg
9476C780-C804-42AA-82FB-83952D5E1782.jpeg
AE2847D7-1E76-472A-9E63-61260CABC8E6.jpeg

My reading and research didn’t find many people saying you need to extend brake lines for a 2.5 inch lift on 33” BFG tires. Is this something I should have done? Or are the stock sized soft lines sufficient for that setup? The brake lines are still being assembled, so I would have time to swap any out. Any suggestions would be helpful to set my mind at ease. Thanks!!

I would want longer than that. When/if the opposite side is being pushed up it will induce more downward travel and stretch that line. I used some off a 2000-ish tundra that were a few inches longer than stock. I also have a 2.5” lift (procomp).

The soft line from the axle to brake backing plate: that one doesn’t look quite long enough either from the pic. Can it be turned left and right to the limiters?

I would want longer than that. When/if the opposite side is being pushed up it will induce more downward travel and stretch that line. I used some off a 2000-ish tundra that were a few inches longer than stock. I also have a 2.5” lift (procomp).

The soft line from the axle to brake backing plate: that one doesn’t look quite long enough either from the pic. Can it be turned left and right to the limiters?
Yes, wheels can be turned all the way both directions and the line from axle to backing plate seems to stay the same.

I also have proconp lift, did you extend both front and rear line from frame to axle? Any chance you remember that part number for the tundra ones?

I used the same tundra line for front and rear. It’s from an 02 tundra. I believe Toyota part 9008094070 is correct. Should be about 20” long. About $60 from my local Toyota, O’reilly auto part BH381329 is about $25.

I used the same tundra line for front and rear. It’s from an 02 tundra. I believe Toyota part 9008094070 is correct. Should be about 20” long. About $60 from my local Toyota, O’reilly auto part BH381329 is about $25.
Thanks for that info, I may look into that option.

Those look really short but @Skreddy is right. I also use Tundra/T100 lines. There's quite a few options, take your pic from the chart below. Disregard the first 4 lines - this chart came from the 80 series section but this applies to 40/60s as well.

If you have a junkyard, I just look at newer 4runners/tundras or similar and yank the rear lines if they are oem and in good shape (usually always are - Toyota brake lines last a very long time).

Brake Lines.jpg

Those look really short but @Skreddy is right. I also use Tundra/T100 lines. There's quite a few options, take your pic from the chart below. Disregard the first 4 lines - this chart came from the 80 series section but this applies to 40/60s as well.

If you have a junkyard, I just look at newer 4runners/tundras or similar and yank the rear lines if they are oem and in good shape (usually always are - Toyota brake lines last a very long time).

View attachment 3158249
Thanks for the list, this will be helpful! On the 40’s that you have put new suspension on, have you extended the brake lines on all of them? I’m surprised I missed this in my research for 2.5” lifts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom