74 '40 Build LM7/NV4500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Corbet suggested I put this here and there are already plenty on the FJ40 and Hardcore forums.

I am planning a frame off restoration and a drivetrain swap. My LC is mostly stock right now but far from a Concourse original. The good news is, as far as I have been able to evaluate, it is rust free except for a couple of spots on the front fenders. Current mods are in my signature. This will be a highway/trail rig, not a crawler. I will make it nice, but not too nice I'm afraid to drive it. Regretted doing that before.

The plan:
5.3 LM7
Early GM NV4500 (but has 95 gear set :confused:)
Toyota 4spd transfer case
Rebuild the seat rails
Renew as much as I can
Put on the hardtop

The original transmission is ~18.5 inches from front of bellhousing to front of the transfer case. The NV is 25.2 inches with bellhousing and adapter. A 6.7 inch difference. There is probably enough room in front of the 5.3, which is 5 inches shorter than the 2F, to put the T/C in the stock location, but it would be tight. I have been mulling over moving the drivetrain back about 3 inches and the rear axle the same to avoid a short rear driveshaft. Then moving the wheel arches back, as well.

My 74 40.jpg

20211021_132511.jpg

NV New parts.jpg

NV4500 complete.jpg

Last edited:
And Steve Heck's legendary build for inspiration and motivation. I will not (at this time, but plans change) be going to this extent, but plan to be as clean.

I searched for a few weeks on every classified I could think of. I finally found it for sale on Farcebook Marketplace in Denver/Lakewood. A 12 hour drive later I got it home. The seller said he finds these every so often, kind of a junk parts trader side job thing. He had a Heep crawler with one in it. I almost bought a whole Dodge pickup to get the transmission. Those are pretty easy to find. GMs? They're like unicorns.

There is a myriad of information on the web regarding the flywheel and clutch to use. Seems 99% use a NFW1050 flywheel and put on a 70s clutch. Through my reading, this is because the early pressure plates have a raised diaphragm pushing the throwout bearing back to where it needs to be. Well, the clutch disk is too large and hangs off the inside diameter of the flywheel friction surface. Not ideal. The solution? A Speedmaster billet flywheel for LS applications. It has the proper sized friction surface and is drilled for the earlier pressure plates (3/8" vs 10mm).

Speedmaster 1-229-015 168 Tooth Billet Flywheel, Chevy LS - https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedmaster-1-229-015-168-Tooth-Billet-Flywheel-Chevy-LS,323441.html

Funny thing is Speedmaster does not have an adequate description of this part and you can't know this without tripping across a Youtube video where one guy does describe it.

Oh, and it's not something stupid like $500.

Last edited:
Have only been cleaning parts off the LM7 lately. And still waiting on the adapters from AA. Had some tasks around the house to get done and to prep for the coming snow. I found some info on the engine that has me disappointed a bit. Ran the vin from the truck it came from and it had 286K miles when it crashed and was junked. The numbers don't match, as far as I can tell, on the engine, so it may be a replacement. I think I'm looking at doing a rebuild, however.

Discovering how bad this engine is. Exhaust bolt broken off in the head. Previous owner, who broke it, drilled and then broke off a tiny extractor in the bolt.
But, I'm pretty good at this stuff....

Broken bolt 1.jpg

Broken Bolt 2.jpg

Broken Bolt 3.jpg

Broken Bolt 4.jpg

Started tearing into the Land Cruiser. Removed the seats, doors, hood, bib, and fuel tank. I need to get the transmission cover off, but it's under bedliner. PO did this. Open to suggestions.

20211129_163632.jpg

Last edited:
Had to use a sharp wood chisel and hammer to get through the 1/8" Line-X. Lots of extra screws, too.

I drained the transmission and transfer case. I think I had the classic fluid migration. Guess which is the transfer case fluid.

Trans cover 4.jpg

Trans cover 3.jpg

Fluids.jpg

Got a preliminary clean on the T-case and it separated from the transmission. I think everything is okay. I was able to spin it by hand and the gears were quiet and everything spun smoothly. It seemed fine when I was driving it, but the low oil I found in it freaked me out a little.

T Case 1.jpg

T Case.jpg

Thanks. I was very pleased it actually came clean. It started with a quarter inch of crud on it. Mostly it was mineral spirits, a fine stainless brush, and a lot of scrubbing. I finished it off with a quick spray of Awesome cleaner and a rinse.

I recently discovered that Totally Awesome cleaner is aluminum safe. I have one of my cylinder heads soaking in some now, and after only about 4 hours 95% of the carbon and sludge is gone.

Head.jpg

I spent most of the last ten days moving snow. Got a few things cleaned for the engine rebuild and got the transfer case mated to the NV4500.

T Case mated.jpg

My son @SipLife did a 5.3/AA adaptor and BH/ 5spd, split case. It’s a great combination. He also ran mechanic fan clutch for cooling. He did a 70 series rear end to get ebrake with splitcase. You will love your combo. Sub’d.

My son @SipLife did a 5.3/AA adaptor and BH/ 5spd, split case. It’s a great combination. He also ran mechanic fan clutch for cooling. He did a 70 series rear end to get ebrake with splitcase. You will love your combo. Sub’d.
Tks, looking forward to a nice drive. Mechanical fan is my plan also. I wanted an electric but it won't fit with the truck accessory length and I'm not feeling like spending a bunch for a corvette accessory swap.

Cleaning parts. What a time consuming activity. I lapped all the valves, surfaces the heads and got them reassembled. Spent a bit of time polishing journals. I have to swap cam bearings and hone the block before assembly begins. I have very slight ring ridges, about .001“ that will be reamed tomorrow.

20220106_094634.jpg

20220107_141401.jpg

20220112_174038.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom