74 '40 Build LM7/NV4500 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also made up the fuel lines.

20230409_125653.jpg

20230409_125701.jpg

20230412_150427.jpg

Fuel Lines.jpg

Made some headway. I got the A/C condenser mounted, blasted and powder coated the grill, radiator mounts made, fan shroud, battery tray fabricated, and a control panel for the Vintage Air finished. The radiator outlet had a weird inward angle. I had to cut it off and weld it back on.

View attachment 3296916

View attachment 3296920

View attachment 3296921

Nice build. Just found it and caught up.

What is your clearance between the the AC condenser and the grill? The reason I ask is that I had one with about 1/2inch clearance and when I was off road the flex in the frame caused the grill support bar that the Toyota emblem mounts on to contact and rub a hole into the condenser causing a loss of refrigerant and of course resulting in no functional AC.

Finally on to bodywork. After a few hours of hammer and dolly work I could almost level the quarters with primer surfacer. But I applied some filler today. No photos of that boring crap.

The other day it was too cold and humid from the rain to prep the bodywork, so I worked on the fuel pump assembly. $300 for a drop in kit is absurd. $55 for a 94 Rodeo assembly with pump. I had to shorten the frame a bit. A friend is milling a mounting ring for me. He has written the file for it but waiting on some end mill cutters. I could have made the ring by hand but he is excited to get to use his cnc mill.

View attachment 3099750

View attachment 3099751
Not sure how loud that pump is. My son @SipLife used a wallbro and it was loud, even in a 40. He switched to an fzj80 denso pump. Very quiet. He too did an LS. Awesome work here! You will have an awesome rig.

Not sure how loud that pump is. My son @SipLife used a wallbro and it was loud, even in a 40. He switched to an fzj80 denso pump. Very quiet. He too did an LS. Awesome work here! You will have an awesome rig.
I am hoping it's not too loud. It is isolated a little from the mount in the factory design with a rubber foot.

Nice build. Just found it and caught up.

What is your clearance between the the AC condenser and the grill? The reason I ask is that I had one with about 1/2inch clearance and when I was off road the flex in the frame caused the grill support bar that the Toyota emblem mounts on to contact and rub a hole into the condenser causing a loss of refrigerant and of course resulting in no functional AC.
That is a concern. I modified the grill so the center bar for the emblem is flush with the rim of the bib. I think it gave me 1/2" more than it was. Then the condensor is about an inch behind the rear most part of the grill.

I finally got the engine harness wrapped up. After settling on the ECU location I started arranging the routing. I identified each wire from the ECU, clipped them and repinned the ends. Then back into the connector block in the correct spots.

Engine harness phase 2.jpg

engine harness done.jpg

My junkyard alternator tested good, but was ugly with oxidation on the case. I had to disassemble it to clean and refinish it. Well, the slip rings where the brushes ride were heavily worn. So I rebuilt it with new slip rings, brushes, and bearings. The new slip ring assembly was slightly different on the ID than the old one. I had to modify the armature shaft to fit it. All pretty now.

Alt disassembled.jpg

Alt bad slip rings.jpg

Alt bearing slip ring off.jpg

alt new slip ring on.jpg

Alt finished.jpg

That is a concern. I modified the grill so the center bar for the emblem is flush with the rim of the bib. I think it gave me 1/2" more than it was. Then the condenser is about an inch behind the rear most part of the grill.
I ended up moving it as close to the radiator as much as I could. I also added two 1 inch wide 1/8in. aluminum strips vertically in front of the condenser so if the bib does hit, it makes contact with the aluminum strips first. So far no issues

I got the A/C evap system installed. My brackets and plates from Vintage Air had paint flaking off them and were rusty under the paint. Does not look like they were prepped before paint. Not bagging on VA too much as most everything fits like it should. Just, I had to spend a day or so refinishing the parts. Stock fuel line grommet did not work like I had hoped, $25 part. I made a bulkhead plate instead.

AC Evap installed.jpg

AC Part.jpg

Bulkhead plate.jpg

I was dreading tackling the exhaust as I've done this before and I do not have a lift. It's a lot of crawling under and back out. But it is done. I just got the hangers welded up and the system is in place. All 304 stainless except for the Magnaflow which I think is 409. To me, a big milestone. I don't claim to be a welder, but I got some good practice in on this job.

Exhaust.jpg

Looks nice. What was your welding setup? I did straight MIG, without any special gas (advice from welding shop was it wasn't necessary for a small amount of exhaust welding), but man... my ss welds didn't turn out as nice as what yours appears to have. It was quite humbling actually.

Looks nice. What was your welding setup? I did straight MIG, without any special gas (advice from welding shop was it wasn't necessary for a small amount of exhaust welding), but man... my ss welds didn't turn out as nice as what yours appears to have. It was quite humbling actually.
Thanks. It's all TIG. For tacking up, I put stainless wire in my MIG machine, but mine is primitive and has no post flow and was using pure argon. So, the tacks sucked. Had to grind them before TIG because they were so tall and oxidized. I was trying to get away with a #8 gas lens but there wasn't enough coverage, so the first half of the job the welds are pretty dark. I didn't get the straw and blue colors until I went to a #12. I don't get enough practice to be "good." Stainless material is expensive and uses a lot of gas so it's hard to just practice if you're not working in a production shop.

Got the seats back. They look good.

BTW, she's up and running. The exhaust is as quiet as I hoped. Almost silent.

20230711_193227.jpg

Can you please share details on your engine mount set up? Thanks!

Can you please share details on your engine mount set up? Thanks!
Engine mounts are Advanced Adapters style. You need to cut off the factory mounts and weld scab plates to the frame then weld the frame side of the mount to the scab plates. You can see it pretty well in post 47. The transmission mount is custom by me and uses the existing skid plate mounting holes in the frame.

Got it running and driving and trying to flush out the little gremlins. Fan clutch won't disengage, so that's loud. power steering pulley rubs the steering shaft on right turns. Tightening coolant hoses here and there. Some minor electrical such as dirty switches and fuses. I need to get the A/C hose fittings crimped and the system charged. Waiting in the corner windows to get tinted before installing in the hardtop. I need to figure out a headliner, also.

FJ@WDR2023A.jpg

20230722_092129.jpg

I know they are never really finished, but I am close. Need to get the A/C charged and fabricate a spare tire carrier. Got the top on. Still finding electrical gremlins, but taking care of them.

FJLeftFront SM.jpg

FJRear SM.jpg

FJUndersideB SM.jpg

FJUndersideC SM.jpg

How it looked when I bought it.

FJ40asBoughtTD.jpg

Back to spring under which was a huge job.

20150614_180928.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom