72 T-Case and Trans rebuild ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 10/72 fj40. It has a 350 conversion on the stock 3 speed and case. The transfer case and tranmission have several slow leaks from different areas. Everything is working great shifts smooth and four wheel drive works well. I would like to stop the leaks. So my questions are??

-Should I pull the trans and t-case and do a full re-build (Can a weekend mechanic like myself with basic tools accomplish this in his garage without alot of headache)???
-Or should I clean it best I can and try to fix leak with the trans and t-case still in the truck.
-Or pull the t-case and transmission and have a local transmission shop re-build it. :)frown: I have had bad luck with non-toyota shops when I re-built my fj62 tranny and t-case).

I know there are plenty of MUD members who have done this and I would love some advice. Also any good threads on rebuilds and who sells the most complete re-build kits i.e. seals, gaskets, and bearings. Thanks

Need to know where the leaks are. Pressure wash it all really good and figure this out first. You could fix some leaks in the truck, but the front transmission seal, you could not fix.

I would want someone who had (verifyably) rebuilt them before to do it, if it were me. You're kinda close to Poser. He would be a great choice if you could get it there.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. Just have not had the guts to get under the truck with a pressure washer with these crazy cold temps we have been having. Where is Poser located at??

That is good, because my brother is going to School in the Twin Citites so he can drop and pick up parts for me. I wonder if my brother new his second job was going to be a parts runner. LOL

I suppose. I would have to buy a new adapter plate to the 350 right? Does the Transfer I have now bolt up to the four speed?

Agree with Jim... the tranny is not easy to take apart even with the SST and the 4-speed is a nice upgrade. Transfer case is not a difficult rebuild.

Forgot about the V8 part.

Yes, a new bellhousing to connect the V8 to a H42 would be needed. That could be expensive.

OTOH, you may be able to find a chevy BH and 4-speed truck trans to swap in, and only get an adapter plate for the back of the SM420/465 to the J30 T-case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom