'72 or '81 40 series body on an 80 frame? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i am going to build my 40 project on a shortened 80 frame/axle set up and i am looking for some input as to which body might be a better choice.

there is significant sentimental value in the '72 as it is the first vehicle i ever bought 20 years ago. i would like to restore it for this project, but i am realizing it would require significant body work to get into good shape.

i bought an '81 a little while back that is in fairly good shape body-wise, but i dont have much experience with the 2F+ vintage 40s. i like the fuel tank outside the body and some of the other improvements the 40s underwent by the time they stopped selling them, but because i havent ever modified a '79+ truck, i have no idea what kinds of trouble i might be in for. i pretty much know what i am up against in the '72.

my plan is to shorten the 80 frame and extend the body and top by about 8". i want to use the '72 top with the two doors and swing up rear door. i have plans for the windows in the top, basically a hybrid '72-'81 hard top that it appears should bolt right up if i cut the right section out of both the top and the tub.

both tubs need rear sills and quarter panels, as well as would need new wheel well steel. i would likely buy a panel from CCOT to extend the bed of the tub 8". both sets of rear doors are mostly shot and will need replacement or some serious time with the TIG welder. the '81 body is in much better shape from the rear axle forward. the '72 will need new steel under the drivers seat.

any thoughts? warnings?

I have done builds like this in the past with jeeps. It can be done but to make them look right and not like you welded a VW bug body on to a truck frame it takes a lot of time, money and patience. Fish plate your frame were you welded it together. Other then that take your time. Make sure that you spend a lot of time with a measuring tape,pen and paper before you loosen one bolt. Is it easier to put the drive train into the FJ 40? That would be another thing I would want to figure out before I pulled the trigger. But ultimately the build is yours good luck with what ever direction you choose to go.

I think a BJ44/46 is 8" longer than a 40? So assuming you lengthen it in the right place you *should* have access to rubbers, 1/4's, hardtop sides [though rare] etc to make a job easier.

But I am coming at you from my armchair. Did you search Project X?

Here is what I am doing (FJ60 body on FZJ80 frame) to make sure I don't screw up along the way.

I took a nice sized piece of graph paper. I sat down next to the 80-series frame with the graph paper, a pencil and a tape measure, oh and a six pack of beers! I then plotted everything on the FZJ80 frame from cross members to body mounts to wheelbase. Since I have axles with springs under it too I also plotted all the suspension stuff in terms of locations on the frame, height of shock towers, travel lengths, ect. Since the first one was just a sketch and not to the right scale, I took all the info I gathered, came in the house and drank the beers while I drew the frame to scale on graph paper.

I still need to do the same thing for the FJ60 frame, at the moment the 60 body is still on it! However, when I have the frame without a body I will do the same thing I did with the 80-series frame. The only real purpose to any of this for me is; #1 to plot the body mounts for the 60-series body onto the 80-series frame. And #2 so I have it all recorded before I go cutting crap off. Some of the notes and numbers also help me to verify if I am picking the right size shock and so forth. It is best for me to have this stuff recorded, I won't remember it all in a few weeks or a few months!

:cheers:

i did look at project x. thats killah.

my biggest concern was running into problems with the '81 body that i had not encountered with the '72. i know i can get everything i need for the '72, including what is necessary to extend the rear of the tub. the '81 appears to have just as much support despite the lower import numbers.

turns out, after a weekend with a screwdriver and a power washer, the '81 is in significantly worse shape than i originally thought. so, i think at this point, i am going to jump in with the '72.

I think whilst the purists will hate you for using the '72, it will look better. The early indicators, round bezel, cowl vent etc will look hella trad on that 80 frame. Me likey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom