72 fj40 brakelight intermittent after turn signal use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello this is my first message on this forum but i search it often. Just finishing a frame on resto for my 9/71 fj40. This is a long time family owned truck with no weird amateur wiring problems. My flashers were intermittent so from recommendations on here I cleaned the crazy expensive hazard switch and voila it works great. I did the same with the signal switch. Currently everything works fine and lights are bright and consistent. I have discovered if I have recently used the left turn signal, the right brake light doesn't work. If I use the right turn signal it starts working again. I had this problem before in an early 90's chevy and had to replace the turn signal switch in the column which was quite an undertaking. Signal switch? flasher relay? hazard switch(please no)? I have removed and refurbished or replaced all lights with attention to good grounds as that is clearly stated as the first thing to check. Thanks for the help.

It's the turn signal switch not returning to center. This is usually the result of binding in the shaft that connects the turn lever to the switch housing. When you cleaned the turn switch did you lube where the shaft enters the housing? It can also be a result of misalignment of the shaft in relation to the housing due to the housing spinning on the steering column. The springs in the switch that help center it are tiny, so if there is ANY binding, it will not return to center resulting in your exact symptom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom