72 Carb rebuild question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
life.joeljenkins.me
Hey guys. Rebuilding my Aisin Carb from my 1972 F and I have this extra block attached to the bottom - is it factory? I don't have any new gaskets for it from the kit I bought from Kurt, and it's preventing me from getting to the bottom screw to separate the upper bowl. I can scrape the gasket off, but don't have a new one to replace it with so I'm not sure that's what I should do. ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1394911839.763778.jpg ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1394911848.678128.jpg

...via IH8MUD app
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1394911839.763778.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1394911848.678128.jpg

Yes, it is a factory insulator and it should separate with mild persuasion. On some, the gaskets are bonded on and reusable. Not sure about that one. NAPA probably has gaskets for that.

Yes, It is stock

It's called a carburetor heat insulator. You will need to pry it apart and replace the gasket.

I would get a sheet of generic gasket material from NAPA and cut it to fit. A small ball pein hammer (ball end) placed over the bolt holes on the carburetor and struck with another hammer will cut perfect holes.

You will want to make new gaskets.
I tried to re-use these because they came off whole and everything looked nice & flat.
Air leaks past those 2 gaskets were making the engine run lean & miss with what felt like an ignition problem.

You can buy a roll of gasket stock like Felpro Karropack.
You may already be familiar with this trick but you can smear a light film of motor oil on the part, in this case, the spacer & block-print the shape onto the gasket material to make it easier to cut out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom