71 transfer case, how much fluid and where? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
i finally got my drivetrain put back together. now for making it work.
1) how much fluid does the t/case hold, what kind of fluid should i use, and where do i put it in?
2) what is the hose on the back of the case by the rear driveshaft, next to the speedometer cable hookup? it's about 6 inches long and cut.
3) and how much fluid does a th350 hold?

80W90 gear lube, 85W140 is optional, but not recommended for cold climate

There is a 17mm plug on the backside of the t-case, halfway up, just next to the drivers side inspection cover. Pull this plug to fill. Don't recall exact capacity, but fill til it dribbles out and plug it quick ;)

Does this 2nd "hose" slide into the e-brake area? Does your e-brake work? Might be a cutoff e-brake cable.

Auto's are filled warm and running...I'm gonna guess 8 quarts, but someone will know for sure. Fill with 7, start and get hot, then keep filling til it's at the correct level on the dipstick. If you only drained the pan, it won't take much (3-4 quarts)....if the convertor is empty too, then it may take the entire 7-8+.

I don't recall the exact amount, either. 7 or 8 quarts is close. Could that cut off hose is a tranny/trans transfusion hose?

If you take a picture, Miles, and post it, we can tell you.

the fj doesnt have an ebrake, so it could be that. what style ebrake handle would a 71 have come with, under the dash or on the floor? my wife sold our camera to get a new one but hasn't bought a new one yet. thanks for your help.

71 E brake is under the dash, Miles.

And the transfer case oil capacity is 1.8 quarts (boy was I off. Was thinking engine, sorry!). You fill until it starts to run out the oil filler plug.

i dave, that's great, where did you get this picture?

another question: i flipped my rear springs to get longer driveshaft room. but what should i do for rear shocks?

Miles, that picture comes from the 1971 FJ40 owner's manual.

The fill and drain plugs are the same for a 77. When you are putting fluid in, make sure you are on a level surface. The proper fill is to the bottom of the hole. You later will check the level by taking the bolt out and sticking your finger in. If you aren't level when you fill or check it, you will have a problem.

Yep.

[quote author=milesstarkey link=board=1;threadid=13512;start=msg126102#msg126102 date=1080095700]
another question: i flipped my rear springs to get longer driveshaft room. but what should i do for rear shocks?
[/quote]

custom mounts time....I welded a bracket onto the stock frame tube, drilled 4-6 holes in it (to adjust shock angle) then welded a tab on the housing....your local autodroid store will have universal shock pins you can use to mount it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom