71' FJ40 Fuel Line Routing help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone. Hoping I could get some clarification on the correct way to route all of the fuel lines from the gas tank.
Background: Just picked up a 1971 FJ40 with an SBC 350 with an Edelbrock carb. Cab reeked of gas. Pulled the right side of the bench seat out and the 3 tank outlets were plugged with rubber end caps (essentially sealing the gas tank). This set up bypassed the fuel separator, and there is no charcoal canister to be found. However, all 3 of the end caps were corroded and leaked fumes into the cab. I put some new ones in....solved. Also, the fuel line that goes to the engine has a fuel pressure dial that can adjust the pressure from 1-5 PSI. Its the only fuel line going to the carburetor.
First question: Does having that fuel pressure dial eliminate the need to run fuel lines from the tank through the fuel separator & a charcoal canister? (I don't know how that thing is supposed to work). In other words, by putting new rubber end caps on and bypassing the fuel separator, will the tank be able to breath and contain the fumes correctly?
Second question: If in fact, putting rubber end caps on the fuel tank is not the way to go, I can reconnect all new lines through the fuel separator. I will need to find a charcoal canister and put that in. But from the canister, where should the fuel lines in end? At the carburetor? Into the open (not optimal)?
I am new here, so any direction would help greatly. I will post pictures of the solution for others to see if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance.
Cheers!!

Sounds like you have a Cagle fuel regulator on your fuel line, it only regulates fuel pressure. If you are worried about the all the lines, I would hook the fuel separator back up and get a charcoal canister. A "search" should yield answers on how to hook up the lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom