70 series wheel fitment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I Think I finally settled on the wheels that I want for my 88 BJ74. It has an OME lift . Looking at the SRS 5 17 inch. I’m hoping to get 33 to 35 inch AT, mud, or hybrid tires on it. My question is which offset should I get. -10 or -38? It will occasionally be used for light to moderate offloading. Nothing that involves a lot of flex.
Thanks

I wish there was a more comprehensive table for wheel fitment for the 70 series. I'm trying to upgrade from 16" OEM steel wheels on an FZJ75 and can't find jack about wheel fitment besides people saying 3.5" backspace is OEM.

I also looked at the SCS F5, be careful as their rated load is only 2100lbs.

I'd recommend the -38 as it's closest to the declared OEM specs but 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wish there was a more comprehensive table for wheel fitment for the 70 series. I'm trying to upgrade from 16" OEM steel wheels on an FZJ75 and can't find jack about wheel fitment besides people saying 3.5" backspace is OEM.

I also looked at the SCS F5, be careful as their rated load is only 2100lbs.

I'd recommend the -38 as it's closest to the declared OEM specs but 🤷🏻‍♂️
Thanks for the info. I’m leaning towards -38.

IIRC, the 3.5" backspacing is for the 15" wheel and because it comes in contact with the TRE. With a 17" wheel, you can go with more backspacing but I don't know how much. -38 offset would certainly be the safe bet but with a 9" width wheel and 35's, you will probably need to make other accommodations to fit.

IIRC, the 3.5" backspacing is for the 15" wheel and because it comes in contact with the TRE. With a 17" wheel, you can go with more backspacing but I don't know how much. -38 offset would certainly be the safe bet but with a 9" width wheel and 35's, you will probably need to make other accommodations to fit.
Ok, thanks. Do you think a 34 would fit with no problem?

16” wheel also needs 3.5”bs.

Ok, thanks. Do you think a 34 would fit with no problem?
I ran 8.25r16 tires (~34") on factory 16" rims and a 3" lift for a long time. I would get light rubbing in the wheel arches on full flex but no interference with steering or contact in any other situation. ~33" is probably the max size before you need to change things to eliminate rubbing altogether.

I Think I finally settled on the wheels that I want for my 88 BJ74. It has an OME lift . Looking at the SRS 5 17 inch. I’m hoping to get 33 to 35 inch AT, mud, or hybrid tires on it. My question is which offset should I get. -10 or -38? It will occasionally be used for light to moderate offloading. Nothing that involves a lot of flex.
Thanks

I ordered my wheels this morning. I got the SCS Gen5 17“ x 9“ -38 offset.
Now comes the big debate about tires. Hoping to get the biggest tire I can get without rubbing issues. Hopefully close to 34 inches. Leaning towards Toyo AT3 285/75 with the C rating.

3.21” is factory BS for my OEM 15x7” wheels because the offset on those is -20.

3.5” BS has always seemed to be a safe number however.

Is it actually documented anywhere that 3.5” is factory BS for the older 70 series (before coil, 5 lug)?

3.21” is factory BS for my OEM 15x7” wheels because the offset on those is -20.

3.5” BS has always seemed to be a safe number however.

Is it actually documented anywhere that 3.5” is factory BS for the older 70 series (before coil, 5 lug)?
Maybe the factory 16” wheel?

I completely forgot about that one. Typical Monday for me.

The factory steel 16x7 is indeed 0 offset so the BS is 3.5”
Had read somewhere that the 3.5 backspace was only required for the 15" wheels to clear steering components (TRE I believe).

Seem to be several running 7 or 8 inch wide wheels with 0 offset (4.0 or 4.5 backspace). Unsure if this caused issues or they're now running spacers.

I'm looking at these for my FZJ75. EVO CORSE DAKARZERO Race Wheel 17x8" TOYOTA Tacoma/FJ Cruiser/4Runner/ - https://www.mainlineoverland.com/products/evo-corse-dakarzero-race-wheel-17x8-toyota-tacoma-fj-cruiser-4runner-gx460-et-0?variant=31517441294402

I was running 17X6.5 OEM hilux steelies steelies without spacers on the PZJ70 but they were just a hair under 4" BS if used a ruler to get rough measurement. I never could get official Toyota specs for that wheel. @Honger is running the exact same wheel currently on his troopy so he could give an up to date account on those wheels. I personally didn't have any issues with those.

Honestly I would not exceed 4" BS for the vehicle you are asking about (without spacers).

I was running 17X6.5 OEM hilux steelies steelies without spacers on the PZJ70 but they were just a hair under 4" BS if used a ruler to get rough measurement. I never could get official Toyota specs for that wheel. @Honger is running the exact same wheel currently on his troopy so he could give an up to date account on those wheels. I personally didn't have any issues with those.

Honestly I would not exceed 4" BS for the vehicle you are asking about (without spacers).
I love em... have had no issues with them. I know they are designed for IFS rigs, but the tires come right to the edge of the fenders without an issue.

I love em... have had no issues with them. I know they are designed for IFS rigs, but the tires come right to the edge of the fenders without an issue.

I would love to have a set of those...

I would love to have a set of those...
If I come across a way to bring some extra sets over there are several people who want them.

You already have FJ Cruiser spare steelies don't you? Those are the same as what I've got but just a shade wider right?

You already have FJ Cruiser spare steelies don't you? Those are the same as what I've got but just a shade wider right?

The FJ cruiser steelies have 4.5" BS I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong on the BS specs but yes they are wider at 17X7.5

If I come across a way to bring some extra sets over there are several people who want them.

I need to check my notes... I have 17x7 wheels- either 4Runner or FJs (I can never remember which, or the offset) what ever I have ends up being 4.25 back space I believe. One is 4.25, the other 4.5. The closer I can get to 3.5 with out spacers, the happier I would be.

I'll send you a PM

I ordered my wheels this morning. I got the SCS Gen5 17“ x 9“ -38 offset.
Now comes the big debate about tires. Hoping to get the biggest tire I can get without rubbing issues. Hopefully close to 34 inches. Leaning towards Toyo AT3 285/75 with the C rating.
Let us know how the fitment goes and what you decide on tires. Looking to upgrade to these same wheels and looking at a 285/70R17. Curious if they'll stuff inside the wheel well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom