1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70-series Registry

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by arcteryx, Dec 13, 2006.

1. BanjoSC

BanjoSC

ok so honestly these are probably just as reliable if not more than a current jeep? I know from jeeps, or any dodge product, you'll be doing maintenance. The parts are quicker to get, but still a lot of maintenance.

2. Mungrol

Mungrol

I would second this. But in today's day and age... I would second this statement with any older vehicle. Especially these though mainly because they were never imported here to the States... certain parts can take quite a while to get here. I personally keep certain items on hand like bulbs, brake pads, oil and fuel filters... things specific to my 24v diesel that I can't just run down to the local auto parts store for. Just like when I had a 1967 Jag 420.... Just need to think ahead and do your preventive maintenance, keeping an eye on things and they work fine as daily drivers. Just my opinion.

3. Gun Runner 5

Gun Runner 5 SILVER Star

Media:
    As you mentioned, Jeeps have one significant advantage in parts procurement. I've owned a number of vintage Land Cruisers and if memory serves me well, I've never had one leave me stranded. Having said that I wouldn't rely solely on a 25 year old Land Cruiser unless I had the Uber App or a good bicycle.

decoco likes this.
  4. decoco

decoco

Media:
    Albums:
    if you need to ask this question, maybe a jeep is for you.

the strong side of jeeps is plentiful parts, plentiful mostly bolt on add ons, plenty of options for aftermarket stuff, and plenty of options for price points.

a 70 as a daily driver depends where you will be living, what kind of driving you will be doing, etc. If you need to take overpasses regularly at 60 mph, it's not the most comfortable car. It depends what you do and how you plan to use it. Again if a Jeep is pulling you harder than a 70, then a Jeep may be for you.

5. Gun Runner 5

Gun Runner 5 SILVER Star

Media:
    Don't pick on the Jeep......
    Every doctor, lawyer, accountant, teenage girl and middle aged women can't be wrong. :)

6. JuanJ

JuanJ

Media:
    Albums:
    Hello,

x2.

A properly maintained 70 Series will not leave you stranded. But again, it is an exotic used vehicle for which parts are harder to get, especially in the US.

This is why every Cruiserhead keeps a stash of spare parts.

As for maintenance, almost everything in a 70 Series is designed to be disassembled, repaired and reassembled without major problems. It is actually part of the fun of owning one.

A 70 Series can be a good daily driver.

However, if parts availability and maintenance are a concern, then a Jeep may be more suitable for you.

Juan

7. BanjoSC

BanjoSC

You have made quite a point. The only thing that I don't like is that I just don't like the styling. I would prefer a 2 door, and after driving one around for a rental (6 spd) It felt like a toy. That and I am extremely loyal to Toyota.

8. BanjoSC

BanjoSC

how does everyone here feel about the HDJ81's? They don't look much different from U.S. spec trucks, but have plenty of rooms, seem reliable, and have all the guts I'm looking for. Diesel, lockers, utility, etc.

How are parts for these even in the states? I would imagine anything body and frame related is easy to get, but the engine I expect would be a lot harder.

Is toyota still making parts for these older vehicles?

9. BanjoSC

BanjoSC

What's your opinion of an HDJ81? Is it better for parts, better Daily Driver?

10. decoco

decoco

Media:
    Albums:
    how many diesel toyota engines are you planning on going through?

PNWScooby likes this.
  11. PNWScooby

PNWScooby

Media:
    People will be much more likely to give you their opinions if you ask these questions in a more appropriate thread. Search for "Daily driver 70" or something like that in the 70 series tech forum or the diesel / JDM section has plenty of opinions about 70 series and HDJ81's as daily drivers. There are quite a few threads you could read through and revive if you want to ask a question that hasnt been addressed.

Then, when you decide on what toyota to get.... come back to the registry and post a photo of it.

Good luck!

12. Omoitsurugi

Omoitsurugi

1. Year and model of vehicle
    1989 LJ73
    2. IH8Mud Handle
    Omoitsurugi
    3. Location of vehicle
    Cadiz, Spain (but in the process to import within the next year to the States.)
    4. Country of Origin
    Spain (Sevilla)
    5. Mileage on the truck odometer, in KMs please
    430,000Km
    6. Modifications, if any
    After market Stereo (bluetooth/aux port), after import will attempt an engine swap (1UZ, or 3.0L Diesel?)
    6. How you use the truck- DD, trail rig, garage queen, etc.
    Daily Driver.
    7. Photos are fine, (you must post them) but please limit them to 1 small jpg
    I'll post one later on the Forums

13. Hillbilly Cruiser

Hillbilly Cruiser

1990 HZJ73
    Hillbilly Cruiser
    Chickamauga, Ga
    Japan
    180,000km
    Daily Driver
    K&N air filter, pintle hook/2" ball combo, seat covers, floor mats, leather steering wheel cover, cup holder/ organizer, 265/75-16 Bf Goodrich All Terrain

CJHenson likes this.
  14. Hillbilly Cruiser

Hillbilly Cruiser

1990 HZJ 73
    Hillbilly Cruiser
    Chickamauga GA
    Japan
    Daily Driver
    K&N air filter, pintle hook/2" ball combo, 265/75-16 BF GOODRICH All Terrain

CJHenson likes this.
  15. Gun Runner 5

Gun Runner 5 SILVER Star

Media:
    Congrats on the 70 Series. It's always nice to have another one in the State of Georgia. Please register your Cruiser here and photos are welcome. ...... U.S. 70's Registration.
    Thanks

16. Burbot

Burbot

Burbot here in Winterpeg Manitoba. Just picked up a 1986 bj 70. 449169 kliks. Paid $5500cdn. Canuck vehicle.
    Plan is..Old Man Emu all around= 100%new susp. Swap to 4:11 add rear locker and turbo n inter cooler by tlcimport a. Thinking of going tall n narrow on stock 16x6 Toyota rims.

coldtaco likes this.
  17. Gun Runner 5

Gun Runner 5 SILVER Star

Media:
    There is a registry for 70 Series Land Cruisers that are legally registered in the U.S.
    U.S. 70's Registration.

18. barnsey

barnsey

mine has taken on a few changes the past couple of months :)
    started like this.
    11917778_1681155808787926_1219085903_n.jpg
    then went to this.
    12237421_1666196926991136_1240321222_n.jpg
    now it's like this :)
    grill outside 009.jpg installing the rear airbags tomorrow, canopy is almost finished too :)
    grill outside 017.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    coldtaco likes this.
  19. Mookies

Mookies

1990 PZJ75 LHD and running like a top in Portland Oregon. Built for Africa in the Netherlands and currently being re-outfitted for exploring North America (maybe Central America some day!)

[​IMG]

20. Burbot

Burbot

Great looking truck! Am getting my sons 85 bj 70 thru safety hopefully next week. Will have OME suspension etc. he goes mining 4 weeks home for two weeks. When he's gone I spend his $ for him. But I bought him 2 perfect back barn doors 0 rust for $250 and two nice front seats g

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">