Registry Global 70-series Registry (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok so honestly these are probably just as reliable if not more than a current jeep? I know from jeeps, or any dodge product, you'll be doing maintenance. The parts are quicker to get, but still a lot of maintenance.

You will have to understand that parts sourcing can take some time, so if you think you will need to do some repairs on something then better get started sourcing these parts. Some on here suggest having a second vehicle just in case.
I would second this. But in today's day and age... I would second this statement with any older vehicle. Especially these though mainly because they were never imported here to the States... certain parts can take quite a while to get here. I personally keep certain items on hand like bulbs, brake pads, oil and fuel filters... things specific to my 24v diesel that I can't just run down to the local auto parts store for. Just like when I had a 1967 Jag 420.... Just need to think ahead and do your preventive maintenance, keeping an eye on things and they work fine as daily drivers. Just my opinion.

ok so honestly these are probably just as reliable if not more than a current jeep? I know from jeeps, or any dodge product, you'll be doing maintenance. The parts are quicker to get, but still a lot of maintenance.
As you mentioned, Jeeps have one significant advantage in parts procurement. I've owned a number of vintage Land Cruisers and if memory serves me well, I've never had one leave me stranded. Having said that I wouldn't rely solely on a 25 year old Land Cruiser unless I had the Uber App or a good bicycle.

ok so honestly these are probably just as reliable if not more than a current jeep?

if you need to ask this question, maybe a jeep is for you.

the strong side of jeeps is plentiful parts, plentiful mostly bolt on add ons, plenty of options for aftermarket stuff, and plenty of options for price points.

a 70 as a daily driver depends where you will be living, what kind of driving you will be doing, etc. If you need to take overpasses regularly at 60 mph, it's not the most comfortable car. It depends what you do and how you plan to use it. Again if a Jeep is pulling you harder than a 70, then a Jeep may be for you.

if you need to ask this question, maybe a jeep is for you.

the strong side of jeeps is plentiful parts, plentiful mostly bolt on add ons, plenty of options for aftermarket stuff, and plenty of options for price points.

a 70 as a daily driver depends where you will be living, what kind of driving you will be doing, etc. If you need to take overpasses regularly at 60 mph, it's not the most comfortable car. It depends what you do and how you plan to use it. Again if a Jeep is pulling you harder than a 70, then a Jeep may be for you.

Hello,

x2.

A properly maintained 70 Series will not leave you stranded. But again, it is an exotic used vehicle for which parts are harder to get, especially in the US.

This is why every Cruiserhead keeps a stash of spare parts.

As for maintenance, almost everything in a 70 Series is designed to be disassembled, repaired and reassembled without major problems. It is actually part of the fun of owning one.

A 70 Series can be a good daily driver.

However, if parts availability and maintenance are a concern, then a Jeep may be more suitable for you.

Juan

You have made quite a point. The only thing that I don't like is that I just don't like the styling. I would prefer a 2 door, and after driving one around for a rental (6 spd) It felt like a toy. That and I am extremely loyal to Toyota.

how does everyone here feel about the HDJ81's? They don't look much different from U.S. spec trucks, but have plenty of rooms, seem reliable, and have all the guts I'm looking for. Diesel, lockers, utility, etc.

How are parts for these even in the states? I would imagine anything body and frame related is easy to get, but the engine I expect would be a lot harder.

Is toyota still making parts for these older vehicles?

how does everyone here feel about the HDJ81's? They don't look much different from U.S. spec trucks, but have plenty of rooms, seem reliable, and have all the guts I'm looking for. Diesel, lockers, utility, etc.

How are parts for these even in the states? I would imagine anything body and frame related is easy to get, but the engine I expect would be a lot harder.

Is toyota still making parts for these older vehicles?
What's your opinion of an HDJ81? Is it better for parts, better Daily Driver?
People will be much more likely to give you their opinions if you ask these questions in a more appropriate thread. Search for "Daily driver 70" or something like that in the 70 series tech forum or the diesel / JDM section has plenty of opinions about 70 series and HDJ81's as daily drivers. There are quite a few threads you could read through and revive if you want to ask a question that hasnt been addressed.

Then, when you decide on what toyota to get.... come back to the registry and post a photo of it.

Good luck!

1. Year and model of vehicle
1989 LJ73
2. IH8Mud Handle
Omoitsurugi
3. Location of vehicle
Cadiz, Spain (but in the process to import within the next year to the States.)
4. Country of Origin
Spain (Sevilla)
5. Mileage on the truck odometer, in KMs please
430,000Km
6. Modifications, if any
After market Stereo (bluetooth/aux port), after import will attempt an engine swap (1UZ, or 3.0L Diesel?)
6. How you use the truck- DD, trail rig, garage queen, etc.
Daily Driver.
7. Photos are fine, (you must post them) but please limit them to 1 small jpg
I'll post one later on the Forums

I would like to have a registry for all 70 series.

Being in the North America, 70 series are pretty rare in Canada and even rarer in the USA (unsure about Mexico). So, my goal is to 1) identify the guys who have 70 series (and I am including Canadian JDMs) and 2) try to realize the market value of these vehicles. I have seen/heard claims that there are about 50-70 70 series in the US and less than 200 in Canada. I want to put actual data behind these claims.

Now, I know we have a lot of international mudders on here and I do not want to offend them. So, I will separate international 70s by country, so that they to can reap the benefits of the data that I am seeking in North America.

I will be editing this post frequently to append the information so that the list will be in first post for everyone, rather than throughout many pages. You can put this info using Reply or PM it to me. Also, please limit it to one post per 70.

So, here are the rules:

2. IH8Mud Handle
3. Location of vehicle
4. Country of Origin (by this I mean the country it was first shipped to- ie, my 70 is in the USA, but was originally for the Canadian market, so the country of origina would be Canada)
6. Modifications, if any

Here we go!

[size=+1] Mods note; Lets keep this to registry info only please. And I will delete the chat posts as I see them. Thanks, BB[/size]
[size=+1] Also it would be nice and highly recommended that we have pictures to go with these posts. It makes the registry that much more enjoyable. So please add a picture to your post if you have not already. If you have trouble posting a picture you can ask me or roscoFJ73 for help in the matter. Cheers and look forward to seeing these trucks :)[/size]
Here we go:

november 1989 BJ70

2. IH8Mud Handle
Tonito

3. Location of vehicle
Germany, North Rhine-Westfalia, Cologne

4. Country of Origin
EUDM

around 235,000km's

6. Modifications, if an:
costum front-bumper, 80-Series steering wheel, 235/85R16 BFG AT's

6. How you use the truck
daily driver

7. Photo:
7927426scl.jpg
1990 HZJ73
Hillbilly Cruiser
Chickamauga, Ga
Japan
180,000km
Daily Driver
K&N air filter, pintle hook/2" ball combo, seat covers, floor mats, leather steering wheel cover, cup holder/ organizer, 265/75-16 Bf Goodrich All Terrain

1990 HZJ 73
Hillbilly Cruiser
Chickamauga GA
Japan
Daily Driver
K&N air filter, pintle hook/2" ball combo, 265/75-16 BF GOODRICH All Terrain
Congrats on the 70 Series. It's always nice to have another one in the State of Georgia. Please register your Cruiser here and photos are welcome. ...... U.S. 70's Registration.
Thanks

I would like to have a registry for all 70 series.

Being in the North America, 70 series are pretty rare in Canada and even rarer in the USA (unsure about Mexico). So, my goal is to 1) identify the guys who have 70 series (and I am including Canadian JDMs) and 2) try to realize the market value of these vehicles. I have seen/heard claims that there are about 50-70 70 series in the US and less than 200 in Canada. I want to put actual data behind these claims.

Now, I know we have a lot of international mudders on here and I do not want to offend them. So, I will separate international 70s by country, so that they to can reap the benefits of the data that I am seeking in North America.

I will be editing this post frequently to append the information so that the list will be in first post for everyone, rather than throughout many pages. You can put this info using Reply or PM it to me. Also, please limit it to one post per 70.

So, here are the rules:

2. IH8Mud Handle
3. Location of vehicle
4. Country of Origin (by this I mean the country it was first shipped to- ie, my 70 is in the USA, but was originally for the Canadian market, so the country of origina would be Canada)
6. Modifications, if any

Here we go!

[size=+1] Mods note; Lets keep this to registry info only please. And I will delete the chat posts as I see them. Thanks, BB[/size]
[size=+1] Also it would be nice and highly recommended that we have pictures to go with these posts. It makes the registry that much more enjoyable. So please add a picture to your post if you have not already. If you have trouble posting a picture you can ask me or roscoFJ73 for help in the matter. Cheers and look forward to seeing these trucks :)[/size]
Burbot here in Winterpeg Manitoba. Just picked up a 1986 bj 70. 449169 kliks. Paid $5500cdn. Canuck vehicle.
Plan is..Old Man Emu all around= 100%new susp. Swap to 4:11 add rear locker and turbo n inter cooler by tlcimport a. Thinking of going tall n narrow on stock 16x6 Toyota rims.

mine has taken on a few changes the past couple of months :)
started like this.
11917778_1681155808787926_1219085903_n.jpg

then went to this.
12237421_1666196926991136_1240321222_n.jpg

now it's like this :)
grill outside 009.jpg
installing the rear airbags tomorrow, canopy is almost finished too :)
grill outside 017.jpg

Last edited:
1990 PZJ75 LHD and running like a top in Portland Oregon. Built for Africa in the Netherlands and currently being re-outfitted for exploring North America (maybe Central America some day!)

0p4XcJG.jpg
Great looking truck! Am getting my sons 85 bj 70 thru safety hopefully next week. Will have OME suspension etc. he goes mining 4 weeks home for two weeks. When he's gone I spend his $ for him. But I bought him 2 perfect back barn doors 0 rust for $250 and two nice front seats g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom