70 series chassis under FJ40 body? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aotearoa - New Zealand, land of hobbits and The Al
so, today's dumb question ...

reading about the FZJ40 projects - I'm trying to find an 80 series rolling chassis.

But ... parts are scarce in New Zealand and 70 series are more abundant and cheaper so ... any reason why the same approach couldn't be taken with a 70 series SWB chassis?

From what I can find out - I need something after 1988 to get solid axles front and rear?

Benefits I see are:

• 5 speed manual gearbox
  • PTO
  • power steering
  • disk brakes (ABS?)
  • 102 inch wheelbase is about perfect to improve the on-road drive (was looking to shorten the 80 series chassis to about 104 anyway)

If so then all I'd need to do is swap over the body and possibly do some work extending panels? Swapping out engine can happen later.

Can it really be that easy? (probably not!)

I have considered the same idea. And will be super sweet once it is done. It is will be a modern forty. If you have to extend body panels I would go towards the back, so it would look closer to a 43 series. I hope this project gets off the ground.

Good luck. :cheers:

been talking with some local dismantlers - am told that going with a Prado 70 would be a lot cheaper than going the 80 series route. It won't give me the 4.2 litre HD-T engine so will have to make do with a turbo'd 3B until funds suffice.

I thought the Prado's had independent front suspension but apparently the 1992-1994 models have coils with solid axles, disk-brakes, lockers front and rear, manual gearbox, partial 4wd with electronic control in the cab to lock the front axle. And some have PTO winch too.

And apparently I should be able to pick up a complete donor vehicle for about NZ$3k.

All sounds too good to be true (except for the engine ... :frown: )

Anyone know of any major reasons why I shouldn't go ahead and buy the first decent rig I find?

(and yeah ... I have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm doing but brave / bold / stupid enough to give it a go ... and am sure that with a little guidance it can be done without costing an arm and a leg)! I think that makes me a danger ... :hillbilly:

If you can source something like ..

images

whoch it's a Light duty Cruiser with 8" Toy axles front and rear ( rear on right side ) sometimes with facotry lockers ( rear ) and 1KZ-T engine with 5 speed tranny you are done . !

Did this happen?

Did this happen?
No it didn't :( Recession etc.,... Meant this project went on hold. But your timing is uncanny - now I have the funds sitting in the bank - just trying to decide whether to keep it a 40 and extend the shackle mount points and lift kit or go with the 70. The 70 is probably easier but ... I kinda want to keep it a 40. Decisions decisions ...

been talking with some local dismantlers - am told that going with a Prado 70 would be a lot cheaper than going the 80 series route. It won't give me the 4.2 litre HD-T engine so will have to make do with a turbo'd 3B until funds suffice.

I thought the Prado's had independent front suspension but apparently the 1992-1994 models have coils with solid axles, disk-brakes, lockers front and rear, manual gearbox, partial 4wd with electronic control in the cab to lock the front axle. And some have PTO winch too.

depends what you want to do with the truck but if you go 70 series prado you drop down to smaller weaker 8" diffs and the radius/trailing arm suspension lacks travel and flex big time you'd be disappointed with the results everyone I know that's gone down that route has been, you'd get far better articulation looking at 80 series, Nissan Patrol, or custom link stuff :)

depends what you want to do with the truck but if you go 70 series prado you drop down to smaller weaker 8" diffs and the radius/trailing arm suspension lacks travel and flex big time you'd be disappointed with the results everyone I know that's gone down that route has been, you'd get far better articulation looking at 80 series, Nissan Patrol, or custom link stuff :)

I hear you on the weakness issues. Custom link ... makes me dribble with excitement followed by screaming at the cost!

I'm back to wondering whether I just stick with the 40 chassis, stretch the wheelbase, Hellcreek 5" SUA (IF he'll sell to me - last time I asked he felt it was ethically unfair to sell to me overseas as the cost of shipping back and forth would be more than the cost of the suspension itself), power steering and 60 series axles and disk-brakes. Here in NZ it'll still cost at least 7-8k for an 80 series, so I reckon it'll be cheaper going the modded-40 route.

After comparing this RJ70 chassis to the 40 series chassis I just did with 80 series suspension, you can see how heavy the gear is on a 40 series, and the 80 series suspension components are pretty heavy duty as well, for just driving around on the beach its a little over kill?

But the 70 series chassis is really not much different to the Hilux and there's plenty of them running around here, I won't go into what is cost me to do the 40 series chassis with 80 series suspension, but this 70 series chassis complete was only $900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom