'70 master cylinder brake booster fuel tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later in 40 years. Jumped in the truck, headed toward a light that was green. It turned yellow/red and yikes:doh: no Brakes! Pump pump swear, pump, swear pedal to floor and nada. One scary hard right turn trying to avoid eveyone. Coast to neighbors yard. Check pants... All clean. No damage, except to my ego and confidence.

So now, do I just order this from CDan or is there another option? My shop is looking into pricing (master and booster) but they're talking $600+ labor. OUCH!

Also, can I replace my original tank with a new metal or plastic tank? I'm tired of rust and the fuel sending gasket leaking.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Does the brake system have a dual circuit? If not, this might be a good time to go there. For me, to get a good idea what needs to be done I would need more info. Were there symptoms prior to the failure? And last but not least, is your emergency brake functioning?

Does the brake system have a dual circuit? If not, this might be a good time to go there. For me, to get a good idea what needs to be done I would need more info. Were there symptoms prior to the failure? And last but not least, is your emergency brake functioning?

Oh boy. I was afraid someone would stat asking questions. This is not a stock vehicle. I have a 14 bolt rear end mated to a 350. All work I didn't do. This is my uhhhh "MUD" truck. It's running stock front end with a 1 ton behind it. Not sure about the dual circuit question. Symptoms prior to failure, none. Just let loose after my last trip only a week earlier. Not a drop of fluid in it and it was full before.
Mud days.jpg

Clearly you need to fix your brakes first! :doh: Take some pics of your set-up and post 'em up here.

And I agree with rsb on the e-brake. Get that thing in shape now! Rehabbing your ebrake is a fun project that is not too technical.

As for the fuel tank, if I were you, I'd go steel. No plastic.

E-brake? That would mean I could leave the truck running on an incline. What fun is that?

E-brake? That would mean I could leave the truck running on an incline. What fun is that?

LOL!

I posted before I saw your pic. That is quite a truck, man! Is that an old school Bronco in the background?

LOL!

I posted before I saw your pic. That is quite a truck, man! Is that an old school Bronco in the background?

Sure is. It's one of many that I wheel with. You can check them out at ClassicBroncos.com: Early Bronco Community for 66-77 Ford Bronco. They are all 1966-1977. Great group just like here:). I don't want to dilute this thread but those interested in more pics can see them at this link. Just go straight to the obvious wheeling albums. BTW - The 80 series is mine too. The heep 4 door is my bro's. The heep guys are a great group too.

MobileMe Gallery

Awesome pic Flacrusher.

Thanks. Gotta love a teenage daughter that would rather go wheelin for the day than shopping! Check out the other pics in the mobile me link. Lot's to look at there.

So, anyways, sounds like you lost Brake fluid. Time to see where it failed at. Look at the back of your tires, the flex brake lines and the firewall for leaking brake fluid. I'd be willing to bet you don't have a single Toyota brake component on that truck. If you could post pics that would help alot.

I'll try to get some pics up after the weekend. My mechanic thinks it's all Toyota. I'll check for more pics.

just replaced my master with an advanced auto rebuild...very impressed with the quality and price...same thing ...no stoping...wet pants :)

turned out one of the rear pads (disk conversion) broke apart...down to rivits...sucked in air...no brakes.

cut rear rotors replaced pads in front and rear...new master...the PB was fine...but....the stupid owner (me) broke one of the studs off the PB that holds the master....sooo...i needed to change that...found a used one a buddy had....shameless plug for a friend.....Thanks again Tyke....@.....Poor Wally Land Cruiser Emporium :)

just replaced my master with an advanced auto rebuild...very impressed with the quality and price...same thing ...no stoping...wet pants :)

turned out one of the rear pads (disk conversion) broke apart...down to rivits...sucked in air...no brakes.

cut rear rotors replaced pads in front and rear...new master...the PB was fine...but....the stupid owner (me) broke one of the studs off the PB that holds the master....sooo...i needed to change that...found a used one a buddy had....shameless plug for a friend.....Thanks again Tyke....@.....Poor Wally Land Cruiser Emporium :)

Johnny - How much was the advanced rebuilt master?

I fi remember correctly it was $43 and a $30 core...i also got the front and rear pads...ceramic...really good quality...all for about $156 had an online coupon for $30 off ...placed the order online...free shipping .....soooo it came to like $136....i returned the core to my local Advanced auto and got the $30 core back....sooo all in all came out to $106....the best deal IMO

Must be in the air, I just rebuilt 5 cylinders and repalced 3 , brakes worked great but only after a pump. I figured it was the brake master so I replaced with an aisan reman, bled now its worse, takes 3 pumps just to stop and the pedal is on floor board. Killing me, keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom