Carb versus Brake Master Cylinder & Booster. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been answered, but I cannot find it. A 69 cruiser has a 4 wheel disc brake upgrade with a booster and master cylinder. The booster is extended beyond the support on the firewall. The new carb has a secondary that competes for the same space as the end of the master. The answer for the seller was to remove the secondary! I don't want to cripple the carb. I can't find a carb that will work with the booster/master combo, which I also don't want to do without. Considering other carb options. Longer term, I was going to go with a TBI, Holley or Howell or ?. I'm not trying to turn the '74 F.5 tractor motor with a 2F head into a hot rod, just get the best out of the engine rebuild without sacrificing braking. Thoughts, anyone? TIA.

My 1970 had the F and a bracket to run the booster beyond the firewall rib. To run this with the stock mechanical secondary Aisin carb, they removed the choke bleed diaphragm. I tried mocking up a booster when I went to the Holley sniper and there just wasn’t a way that I could find using a spacer off the firewall and keeping the rib for the booster. The only way I know of on the early rigs is to cut the firewall rib so the booster sits closer to the firewall. (Still need the adapter to the modern bolt pattern if I remember right?). That was with the mechanical secondary. I think it’s worse with the vacuum secondary carbs?

My 1970 had the F and a bracket to run the booster beyond the firewall rib. To run this with the stock mechanical secondary Aisin carb, they removed the choke bleed diaphragm. I tried mocking up a booster when I went to the Holley sniper and there just wasn’t a way that I could find using a spacer off the firewall and keeping the rib for the booster. The only way I know of on the early rigs is to cut the firewall rib so the booster sits closer to the firewall. (Still need the adapter to the modern bolt pattern if I remember right?). That was with the mechanical secondary. I think it’s worse with the vacuum secondary carbs?
Yeah, the replacement carb I bought has the vacuum secondary. Well, that seems to eliminate the Holley as a solution. If I knew the pitfalls of removing the rib.... but, some Toyota Engineer decided it needed to be there...... who am I ....? Thanks!

Lots of people remove the rib. I chose not to because I didn’t want to modify the body and I don’t mind manual brakes.

An 80 series master is shorter…

1707237630653.jpeg

Don’t know if it’s enough shorter, but my $.02

Which manifold set are you running? The F manifold puts the plenum 1” closer to the head than the 2F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom