‘67 FJ45v in Kenya - easy restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking for advice on refurbishing the speedo cluster. I was told that the newer, post-1974 cluster that commonly available online will not work and will have to rewire most part especially the fuel gage sending unit. I don’t want to go the digital route.

As I see it the options are:
- rebuild the exciting cluster (any recommendations who does that?)
- search for pre-1969 working one
- use a newer version and rewire the input.

Last edited:
There are plenty of old ones out there . Are you needing just the speedo or all the gauges?

All the ones I see on eBay or on the usual suppliers’ website are the newer model with the round wire input. I’ll take mine apart to see where the problem is as none of the gages seem to work. If faulty, probably will need the entire unit unless someone can rebuild it. I found some links on the tech forum already, but will need to wait until I’m back in the US again.

There are plenty of old ones out there . Are you needing just the speedo or all the gauges?

So the current state is that the temp needle is missing and speedo is not running. Still need to investigate from the back, but would like to upgrade the look.

IMG_4216.JPG

Suspension work is all but done. New shackles with bushing and heavy duty shocks. Also found out the the rear had no shocks at all so the truck was running on leaf springs and different length shocks up front. Nevertheless, made the 350km journey across Kenya.

IMG_4597.JPG

IMG_4598.JPG

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4602.JPG

New custom made radiator with OEM look. Clutch and brake cylinders are replaced.

Getting excited about the first trip out of Nairobi into the Kenya. i'm still puzzled with the electrical and the rear lights, but at least mechanically it should be sound now.

IMG_4599.JPG

Hilux,

A word of caution: scanning your suspension photos, it appears you may have used stainless steel bolts at certain locations. While I understand the desire to avoid future rust and corrosion, stainless bolts have several lesser strength specifications than the original factory bolts that were used there. In non-critical areas, stainless is fine; other places-- a safety concern.

I apologize for the alarm if yours are not stainless, but if they are, some careful reading of bolt specs might be warranted.

Hilux,

A word of caution: scanning your suspension photos, it appears you may have used stainless steel bolts at certain locations. While I understand the desire to avoid future rust and corrosion, stainless bolts have several lesser strength specifications than the original factory bolts that were used there. In non-critical areas, stainless is fine; other places-- a safety concern.

I apologize for the alarm if yours are not stainless, but if they are, some careful reading of bolt specs might be warranted.

Thanks for the concern and the warning. Metallurgy is not something we practice here, but I double checked the bolts and nuts and the are cadmium coated steel but not stainless. I’m not planning any hard core off-roading but it’s better be safe than sorry. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom